Back up saved logins on quantum?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
raven12

Back up saved logins on quantum?

Post by raven12 »

How can I back up ./ export saved logins/passwords on firefox quantum?
the-edmeister

Re: Back up saved logins on quantum?

Post by the-edmeister »

Backup the key3.db and logins.json files in your Profile folder.
Help > Troubleshooting Information -> Profile Folder ---> Open Folder

There is no Export procedure for Importing passwords / logins into another Firefox installation, or into a different browser; although some other browsers do have an Import function from Firefox, when they are both installed on the same operating system.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

"quantum" is not limited to v57 - its also v58 and v59. those 2 need to save key4.db and logins.json.
(also cert9.db instead cert8.db)
Last edited by Brummelchen on December 21st, 2017, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Brummelchen wrote:"quantum" is not limited to v57 - its also v58 and v59. those 2 need to save key4.db and logings.json.
(also cert9.db instead cert8.db)
Thanks for that info. I'm surprised that those three files are being changed so soon after Firefox 57 was released.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

fixed the typo
the magic number is 51 and you are probably part of it :p
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Brother Rabbit...
Your thread now resides here...
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3037129

as you are running v58.0b13.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Brummelchen,

Out of interest, when v58 is out in general release will installing it automatically convert key3.db and cert8.db into the new files key4.db and cert9.db? And I'm assuming that the old key3.db and cert8.db will be automatically deleted. Is that a correct assumption?

Also is there any actual change to the logins.json? Will that be a new format or something? I'm not very techie myself so just looking for general information here.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

BuddhaNature wrote:Out of interest, when v58 is out in general release will installing it automatically convert key3.db and cert8.db into the new files key4.db and cert9.db? And I'm assuming that the old key3.db and cert8.db will be automatically deleted. Is that a correct assumption?
Nope, the conversion is automatic, but the original files are retained to maintain backwards compatibility.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

So if someone wanted to backup their passwords and logins then they would need to store off the files key3.db, key4.db and logins.json?

Or, in that scenario, assuming the user didn't want to go backwards down the version tree, would it be sufficient for the user to just store off key4.db and logins.json - and just delete the key3.db? I suppose I'm asking is there any residual dependency for the logins.json file that the key3.db file still be present to get the passwords and logins to work properly?