Firefox Quantum and Logitech Mouse Issue (maybe)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
SCTom46

Firefox Quantum and Logitech Mouse Issue (maybe)

Post by SCTom46 »

I'm running Firefox 57.0.2 (64-bit) on Win10 Home w/ all the updates, using a Logitech M705 mouse and a MS Sidewinder X4 KB.

The first time I open Firefox, the Forward and Back buttons on the mouse work just fine. But, if I close FF and reopen it (either shortly after I close it or later in the day), those two mouse buttons don't work. I have uninstalled and re-installed FF using the method described here:
<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/un ... r-computer>
all to no avail. The problem repeats itself immediately after the re-installation. I have the latest Logitech drivers for the mouse.

The reason I say (maybe) in the subject line is that the mouse works fine using IE or Edge. It also works fine through my KVM program on my other PC with Win10 Pro, but that's probably because it's using the Windows drivers and not the Logitech ones. If it wasn't for other programmed key customizations that I use on this PC, I'd uninstall SetPoint and use the Windows drivers on this PC also.

Any ideas from anyone to help fix this problem will be deeply apprciated :D
TIA!!
therube

Re: Firefox Quantum and Logitech Mouse Issue (maybe)

Post by therube »

Start FF in Safe Mode, see if it works.
Quit.
Quit.
Quit.

?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
SCTom46

Post by SCTom46 »

therube wrote:Start FF in Safe Mode, see if it works.
Quit.
Quit.
Quit.

?
Did not work,
Ditto
Ditto, and for good measure,
Ditto

The first safe mode I did from the Help menu.
The next three were from adding "-safe-mode" to the end of the command line in my shortcut.
therube

Post by therube »

As a test, create a new, clean Profile & test in there?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
SCTom46

Post by SCTom46 »

OK, really strange stuff here :shock:

I went back into my shortcut to remove the safe mode part, and looked under the Advanced settings for grins and giggles. "Run as Admin" was checked, so I unchecked it, started FF, and now the buttons work as they should.
Don't know how that got changed (I don't remember checking it), plus as Admin on this PC, it really shouldn't NEED to be checked.

I'll check those settings again after my next reboot, make sure Admin is still unchecked, and then see if the mouse buttons work as they should. I'll get back to ya soon and let you know if it's fixed or not 8-)

Thanks for your reply. If not for that, I probably never would have looked at the shortcut properties.
SCTom46

Post by SCTom46 »

Well, all fixed :) Unchecking the "Run as Admin" box took care of it all. It runs well and as it should, even after rebooting.

As a reply to therube's 2nd post, uninstalling FF using the link in my original post, a new FF profile was created. All the folders and settings from the previous version were completely erased, and I had to start all over.
If you were refering to creating a new Windows profile, I'd rather live with the buttons not working than go through all that aggravation, IYKWIM :(

Thanks for the replies!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
A new Profile does not contain anything, as such, but ref; this link for info on how to transfer your "stuff" over.

> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox

A quote from that link...
Create a new profile

Installing Firefox and running it for the first time automatically creates a "default" Firefox profile. Additional profiles can be created using the Firefox Profile Manager. If you haven't yet created a new profile, completely close Firefox by choosing File -> Exit (or Quit) and then open the Profile Manager and follow the prompts to create a new profile. Make note of the name you give to the new profile so you can distinguish between the old and the new. You can exit the Profile Manager at this point and a new profile folder will be created (if you don't open Firefox with the new profile, the newly created profile folder will be an "empty shell"). You can then copy the files containing the data you wish to transfer to the new profile folder. Firefox will create any additional files it needs when you actually start Firefox with the new profile.
Please note:
Any reference to the "Profile" will almost always mean the Firefox Profile.
We "normally" do NOT suggest creating a new Windows Profile.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)