MozillaZine

FF 57.02 wiped my bookmarks toolbar

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Nick-Roger

Post Posted December 22nd, 2017, 1:12 pm

Today all my bookmarks on the bookmarks toolbar have been wiped and replaced by two entries for 'Most Visited' on all my computers. Can I get them back?

Scribe_uk

Post Posted December 24th, 2017, 6:12 am

Hi, try these steps -

1/ Restart Firefox.

2/ 3-bar menu > Customize > Restore Defaults (at bottom right).

3/ Hold down Shift when you start Firefox to start in Safe Mode. (close FF to exit Safe Mode). If it works in Safe Mode, disable any theme or add-ons you have - Add-ons Manager (Ctrl+Shift+A) > Themes/Extensions and restart Firefox; then if it's OK, re-enable them one by one until you find the culprit. You may need to restart Firefox after enabling some add-ons.

4/ Try restoring from a recent backup - if you have one, but note that this will overwrite any existing bookmarks: Open bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks > Import and Backup > Restore.

5/ Refresh Firefox; but note that it can very occasionally cause issues of its own, so to be on the safe side, before you do it, I would backup your bookmarks: Open bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks > Import and Backup > Backup. Or, Export Bookmarks to HTML, and save them to somewhere convenient on your computer. Note that Backup will overwrite any existing bookmarks when you restore them. For extra safety, I'd suggest making both a Backup - which creates a JSON file, and an HTML file. You can instead backup all your data by copying your Profile, but this requires some technical expertise - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ba ... x-profiles To Refresh; first see (and note in particular that your add-ons will be removed) https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... d-settings

Return to Firefox Support