Want a New Tab button on Tab bar instead of on tool bar

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ghot

Want a New Tab button on Tab bar instead of on tool bar

Post by ghot »

Ok, I've finally switched to FF 57.0.2 (x64), and I'm starting to get this figured out.

There's one little thing I still haven't been able to figure out... I want this "new tab" button, back. You can see it circled in RED, in this image from my FF 52.x.x ESR build, that I no longer have installed.

I'm using this userChrome.css file: custom_css_for_fx_v1.5.3.1 from Github.
I'm not sure if a setting in Firefox itself will do it, or if I need to enable a setting in custom_css_for_fx_v1.5.3.1

Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. After the initial shock, this FF 57.0.2 ...isn't that bad.
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
LIMPET235

Re: Want a New Tab button on Tab bar instead of on tool bar

Post by LIMPET235 »

[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
ghot

Post by ghot »

Yeah, that's the .css file I am currently using. I don't see anything in the TABS section that will do what I want.
That's why I posted this here. Maybe someone knows the line I seem to need.

/e Well I found a solution I think.

In about:config ...browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInTabs;true < needs set to true ...as I now have it set.
Still doesn't add the extra open tab thing in the tab bar, but it helps.

/e2

Ok, that last setting change in about:config makes all my bookmarks open in a new tab, which is a good thing (for me). My home page is: www.google.com
When I click the little house icon (home page) I'd like that to open in a new tab, automatically.
OR, I'd like the new tab icon in the tool bar to always open to Google...either way my problem will be solved.
If I can do either of those, with what I've already done (in about:config), then I won't need anything else.
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

If the new tab button shows on the toolbar, right click it, choose Customize and then drag it back to the tab bar. It's moveable. When it's on the tab bar it's a plus sign at the far right of the tabs. When it's on the tab bar, it's looks like a tab with a little plus sign on it. Your userChrome tweaks might be breaking it.

And upon further messing about, you can have it at the far left of the tab bar as well.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
ghot

Post by ghot »

smsmith wrote:If the new tab button shows on the toolbar, right click it, choose Customize and then drag it back to the tab bar. It's moveable. When it's on the tab bar it's a plus sign at the far right of the tabs. When it's on the tab bar, it's looks like a tab with a little plus sign on it. Your userChrome tweaks might be breaking it.

And upon further messing about, you can have it at the far left of the tab bar as well.
Yeah, discovered that, right after I posted.
I'd still like it at "just" the right end of the already open tabs, like it used to be. It was ...handy, there. I know I'm being picky.

Other workable options...

1. Have the "New Tab" icon in the toolbar or tab bar, always open to... http://www.google.com
2. Have the "home icon, have a right click option to "open in a new tab"
3. I could also just put google.com as a bookmark and right clicking on that, and choosing: "open in a new tab" ...but this adds another step.

There used to be a way to make the old "new tab icon, (which had floated on the tab bar) do that. I can't remember how, and I don't know if this one can even do that.

I usually have 2-3 tabs open, and then I find I need to open a new tab to my home page, which is google.com
I tried right clicking the "home" icon and choosing: "open in a new tab", but that doesn't work.

This isn't a giant problem. I find that what ever I'm reading on one of my open tabs, usually requires that I have to google something....on a new tab. I'm just trying to save a step.
If it can't be done, it can't be done...but it would be nice if it could be done.

The ONLY complaint I have with the FF 57 build, is that they added a lot of useless stuff (for me anyways), but I could remove 99% of that with customize, or the userChrome.css script. Everything else is now fine except for this one little thing.

Here's what I have FF 57 (x64) looking like at the moment...

> https://i.imgur.com/tmbcwkZ.png

I could also just put google.com as a bookmark and right clicking on that, and choosing: "open in a new tab" ...but all these options add another step.

/ee Well, I just figured out a way to get the "new tab" icon to open to a blank page with just the search engine box, via the "new tab" settings.

I guess I'm just old and can't understand why Mozilla thinks they need to keep changing the GUI. Adding stuff that could just be removed via customization, would be fine. But basically rebuilding the whole GUI for every major release, seems like the path to inefficiency, to me.
Last edited by LIMPET235 on December 23rd, 2017, 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image tags removed to restore the forum layout.
ghot

Post by ghot »

Ok, got it to this...

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to make the "Home" button, automatically open in a new tab.

/e Happy Holidays everyone.