Alternative to MozBackup?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
lovemyfoxy

Re: Alternative to MozBackup?

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I use a little program that copies my TB and FF profiles to a flash drive 8 PM every night
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:I use a little program that copies my TB and FF profiles to a flash drive 8 PM every night
Is the program name a secret?
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

It's an old program called Karen's Replicator, by the late Karen Kenworthy. It's intuitive to set up, if you want just a limited number of items copied, and uses only 3MB RAM. You can specify that only changed items will be copied. I think that's called differential backup.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
pepegot1

Post by pepegot1 »

I have had reason to restore my profile and Mozbackup did the job flawlessly!
notchrome

Post by notchrome »

Hekasoft Backup & Restore (Free)

I came across it a few days ago after updating from Firefox 56 to Firefox 57. All my hard work tweaking 56 was trashed. I had to change all my personal tweaks in the about:config and also customize the GUI etc. Hekasoft Backup & Restore is simple to use and fast. It's worked fine so far. It currently supports 35 browsers, so if you use Waterfox, Palemoon or, heaven forbid, Google Chrome, then it's ready to serve.

I've used Mozbackup since it's release but as it's no longer being updated I don't have a great deal of faith in it as a reliable utility, especially since the release of Firefox 57.

Hope this helps anyone searching for a viable and free alternative to Mozbackup.

Cheers.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Note that the suggested Hekasoft utility is only available for Windows operating systems.
Mcd73165

Post by Mcd73165 »

Hi. I've always used BackupFox. Works great. You can also use FavBackup.
Mark
costark

Post by costark »

Mcd73165 wrote:Hi. I've always used BackupFox. Works great. You can also use FavBackup.
Mark
Can you confirm any use with Fx 57.? BackupFox states "Not for Quantum; FavBackup is in some '09 articles with FEBE, which isn't usable in Quantum, so Fx 57 OK or Pre-57 clarification will help.
Mcd73165 wrote:Costark: I have used BackupFox and FavBackup with Firefox 57.0.2 and both work fine! Thanks for the Update!
notchrome wrote:Hekasoft Backup & Restore (Free)

I came across it a few days ago after updating from Firefox 56 to Firefox 57. All my hard work tweaking 56 was trashed.
Hope this helps anyone searching for a viable and free alternative to Mozbackup.
Cheers.
Thnx notchrome. Made my first Hekasoft Bkup after often Copying the entire Profile to Bkup folders.
Claudio Masci actually Replied in minutes to an Inquiry about How the Bkup works (I presume all Apps must insert Bkups into a New Profile in X steps like FEBE did) but his Reply below didn't cover the specifics:

Hekasoft Backup & Restore will make a clone of your browser profile folder, this way when you restore your profile you will have everything you had before (bookmarks, passwords, themes, plugins etc.), if you have more than one profile in firefox all your profiles will we cloned and restored, in future we will add the feature to choose what include in the backup (for example just the bookmarks) but actually you will have everything.

I think he deserves a look just from his fast Reply to my email. Use as desired.
Last edited by costark on December 27th, 2017, 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -
josegotme

Post by josegotme »

I just made a backup using Helkasoft Backup and the file was 30 meg larger than Mozbackup.
Since it should preclude any future Mozbackup errors, it is now my preferred method of backup.
The fact that it will be updated is a defined plus!
Mcd73165

Post by Mcd73165 »

Costark: I have used BackupFox and FavBackup with Firefox 57.0.2 and both work fine!
costark

Post by costark »

Mcd73165 wrote:Costark: I have used BackupFox and FavBackup with Firefox 57.0.2 and both work fine!
Thanks for the Reply.
Nothing I read implies they should work, but I'm glad you could clarify they do.
With BackupFox Addons.Mozilla.org pg showing Not Compatible and FavBackups last update being 2011 for FF 8, you Found Two Amazing Apps.
Thanks again & Good Luck!
costark

Post by costark »

Hekasoft Backup & Restore - Details on How Restore Works via Claudio Masci

Hello Craig,
The Clone will be added to the profile folder, if you have another profile you will not lose it, but it will not be the default profile anymore, in a future update we will add a new feature that can allow users to swap between browser's profile, (this can be useful for example to store a profile on a usb drive and use it everywhere, then after turn back to the local profile)

About your last question: the restore is in 1 step: it will extract all the backup inside the firefox profile folder, if you have a profile with the same name will be overwritten, if you have another profile will be preserved and you can use both of them.

I hope I was helpful
http://www.hekasoft.com/hekasoft-backup-restore/
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Did any of you think of backing up to a cloud service. Many are free and offer historical file/folder options?

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
costark

Post by costark »

RobertJ wrote:.
Did any of you think of backing up to a cloud service. Many are free and offer historical file/folder options?

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2288745,00.asp

Thanks, Robert, for making me explore the possibility.
PCMag Editor's Choice iCloud (5 GB Free) appears to have an "every X Min/Hr, Day" timed Upload of "What's Changed in your list" capability.
Were you mentioning the Cloud JUST for the Location to Store Profile Bkups & other things, OR more the Automated possibilities?
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

costark wrote: Were you mentioning the Cloud JUST for the Location to Store Profile Bkups & other things, OR more the Automated possibilities?
I started using a service 15 years ago because it provided off site backup for my critical files (e.g., family photos, IRS records, ....). Our corporate auditors always required off site backup; so, it was something that made sense to me. As off site (cloud) storage became more popular and the price per giga byte came crashing down, I expanded my off site backups to include more and more including FF profiles. I've programed my service to run once a day at night and get 100G for $9.95 a month. The service maintains a history of the ten previous files/folders which does not add into the 100G.

NOTE, even though my provider encrypts my files, I encrypt the financial ones on my SSD.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6