Stop AutoScroll To Active Tab

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
r0land

Stop AutoScroll To Active Tab

Post by r0land »

Hello

I'm using FF with a separated profile at 2 different computers.

At computer 1 other users made new profiles with "auto update".. so Quantum destroyed my profile completely.

Computer 2 was running with FF 50.x until yesterday. I had a mem leak problem since few weeks while watching video streams and could not detect the process which caused it. So I also thought about FF update, step by step.. 51, 52, 53.. finally 54.

Both FF installs have same problem since updates: I always have lots of tabs open. One tab is active and I could scroll to left or right as far as I want. Now after update.. as soon as the active tab scrolls ( left or right ) out of the screen.. FF is scrolling back to the active tab.

This behavior is really frustrating and unneeded.

Is there a chance to deactivate that? I couldn't find it in config.. also not in about:config.
DanRaisch

Re: Stop AutoScroll To Active Tab

Post by DanRaisch »

A) The auto-update function bringing the browser to version 57 would not create a new profile but would update the original one.

B) Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

First, try Dan's suggestion to see if the problem continues in safe mode.

Also, not sure if this has always happened or not, because I don't run Firefox with a lot of tabs, but if you double click the tab scroll button, the tabs scroll to the end (whichever end you are scrolling towards). It could be that you are accidentally double clicking the scroll button and thinking it's the active tab trying to scroll back into view.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
r0land

Post by r0land »

DanRaisch wrote:A) The auto-update function bringing the browser to version 57 would not create a new profile but would update the original one.
I said the update destroyed my profile, not it was creating a new one. FF was updated by someone who was using a new profile which had "auto update" activated.. without any questions and without checking for addons-compatibility.

I didn't know that the installation was updated.. was starting FF with my profile.. and now the profile is destroyed. It is destroyed by deactivation of 2/3 of my addons.. lost my session with 50 tabs.. got bugs with the tabs. Bugs like if I add new tab new tab new tab.. over time.. suddenly 2 tabs show above each other while keeping additional free space in tab bar for one of them. I can click on the buggy "double" tabs but it activates only one of them. If I try to close one or more tabs it stays that buggy. And there where some other problems. Tryed to downgrade to a "working" FF version.. but my profile stayed destroyed for me.

It is not just destroyed because of the bugs and problems I can see now.. it is the more destroyed because of things I cannot see at the moment.. things which will probably occur later. I cannot trust in "everything will be ok".
smsmith wrote:Also, not sure if this has always happened or not, because I don't run Firefox with a lot of tabs, but if you double click the tab scroll button, the tabs scroll to the end (whichever end you are scrolling towards). It could be that you are accidentally double clicking the scroll button and thinking it's the active tab trying to scroll back into view.
It never happened before. I'm using 4 profiles myself at both computers.. each with 15-50 tabs. Was working always without any problems.. as long as Firefox didn't update to a new version.

The doubleclick on the tab scroll button is working. But with 20-50 tabs.. it's not helpfull to jump to the start/end of the list if you need to search + select a tab somewhere in the middle. If I move the mouse over the tabs after doubleclicking the button.. the tab bar jumps back to the active tab. No chance to select anything else.

I will try save mode later.

But I'm not happy with it.. if there is a problem with an addon or not.. or if I can find and correct it myself or not. As said.. I stopped updating now at version 54. Version 55 and later is not working for me. This terminates FF itself somehow.

--

And sorry, have to say that:

Such things make me slowly but surely hating Mozilla and Microsoft.. everything must be updated.. automatically.. without any questions.. by default.. and in case of Microsoft without the chance to stop this behavior. Windows 10 is pushing it's blue "there is update, please restart computer" popup to the front of all windows.. even if I play online tournament games in fullscreen. Or auto-restarting my computer for updates while watching video streams and having 5 other programs running in background. Just stupid. And Mozilla was earlier at least checking for addons-compatibility before updating the installation.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

If this is only happening on one computer, I would also check to make sure the mouse isn't having trouble. You can pick up an extra corded mouse for 5 bucks just to check it.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
r0land

Post by r0land »

Both computers show similar problems. Talking about the tab bar scroll problem.

The one that got updated to 57 shows tab row bugs and other problems. This profile is lost. The other computer was updated step by step to 55 with backups on each step, showed same problems.. downgrade to backup 54 is working.. but shows the tab bar scroll thingy.

I'm on it and I think I need to downgrade further to fix it.. maybe to 53 or 52.

Thanks for helping me.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

At computer 1 other users made new profiles with "auto update"
I said the update destroyed my profile, not it was creating a new one.
Actually, you did.
r0land

Post by r0land »

DanRaisch wrote:
At computer 1 other users made new profiles with "auto update".. so Quantum destroyed my profile completely.
I said the update destroyed my profile, not it was creating a new one.
Actually, you did.
Read this:
r0land wrote:FF was updated by someone who was using a new profile which had "auto update" activated.. without any questions and without checking for addons-compatibility
r0land wrote:I didn't know that the installation was updated.. was starting FF with my profile.. and now the profile is destroyed.
* cleaned to keep it friendly
Last edited by r0land on December 30th, 2017, 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

All we have to work with when trying to understand your problem is what you report in your posts and not being clear on the order of action by the individual in your initial post totally obfuscated your situation. Good luck with your issues with Firefox. Your attitude is not going to encourage others to offer you the support you are looking for here and I'm done with this topic.
r0land

Post by r0land »

+1 for your posting count
DanRaisch wrote:All we have to work with when trying to understand your problem is what you report in your posts and not being clear on the order of action by the individual in your initial post totally obfuscated your situation. Good luck with your issues with Firefox. Your attitude is not going to encourage others to offer you the support you are looking for here and I'm done with this topic.
My initial post was not clear enough, okay. That's why I was explaining what happened. But you didn't read it or you ignored it.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Dear r0land,
The way you are carrying on is going to earn you a holiday.
Please do NOT try to provoke a reaction by anyone here, especially a moderator.
O.K.?
We are all here to assist, whenever possible.

[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

First, no reason to get cheeky. We're just users trying to help users here.

Second, I have tried in vain several times to replicate your tab problem without success, meaning, no matter what I do, the tab bar never autoscrolls to the active tab and I can choose whatever tab I like after either double clicking the scroll button to move to one end of the tab bar or the other or single clicking to advance one tab at a time.

You said you'll try safe mode later. Why not try it now? It takes about 5 seconds to use Help -> Restart with addons disabled. It's either an extension you are having a problem with or some other customization you have setup causing the problem.

Also, it sounds like you are bouncing around on versions trying to find one you think should work (you talked about downgrading to Fx 54) but you complain that the profile was "destroyed". Did you ever create a new one to see if the problem continued in a clean profile before you started adding extensions?

Finally, as a workaround, when the scroll buttons appear, you should also see an all tabs button (down arrow) at the end of the tab bar. Try using that until your problem gets sorted out.
r0land

Post by r0land »

LIMPET235 wrote:The way you are carrying on is going to earn you a holiday.
Please do NOT try to provoke a reaction by anyone here, especially a moderator.
O.K.?
Why don't say ban? Feel free to do what you need to do. Truth and facts cannot provoke anything bad..
smsmith wrote:Also, it sounds like you are bouncing around on versions trying to find one you think should work (you talked about downgrading to Fx 54) but you complain that the profile was "destroyed". Did you ever create a new one to see if the problem continued in a clean profile before you started adding extensions?
Thank you for your time figuring my problem out! The answer is: yes. I was trying safemode, new profiles, deactivating single addons.

In the meantime I found the addon myself which caused the scroll problem. It's somehow hard to replace. So I need to find a balance between updating FF from 50 upwards, to a version where everything is working fine. And I have to watch all other addons too. ^^

We can close this topic. It's not FF itself. Thanks to those who was trying to help. Happy new year party.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

r0land wrote:
In the meantime I found the addon myself which caused the scroll problem. It's somehow hard to replace. So I need to find a balance between updating FF from 50 upwards, to a version where everything is working fine. And I have to watch all other addons too. ^^

We can close this topic. It's not FF itself. Thanks to those who was trying to help. Happy new year party.
Can you share what addon was the issue so next time someone has something similar we have something to check ?
r0land

Post by r0land »

Tab Utilities - fixed

If I deactivate this addon, the problem is fixed. The addon is not longer supported / developed.. and just running until FF 54. FF 55 is auto deactivating the addon.

Some history, if you want:

Tab Utilities was developed until Apr 2014, as the origin developer "ithinc" died. The addon stopped working around FF 30.

YFdyh000 picked it up and released a fixed version with basically same functionality.. just to keep TU running with newer versions of FF and to fix some bugs. He stopped development of TU-fixed in Aug 2017, probably because it's to much to do to get it working with Quantum. He moved on to Quantum / 57 himself.

Both addons are still marked to run with FF 17 to 56.. but the latest working version is 54.