Migrated FF from PC to Mac, Password are not saving or excep

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
puter illit

Migrated FF from PC to Mac, Password are not saving or excep

Post by puter illit »

I just got my 1st Mac, CC installed FF for me & installed saved Profile from my external HD. Yikes I think I hate Mac nothing sets up the same ](*,) OK
1st) Profile aka favorites imported correctly but NOT the saved logins for sites. OK so not a biggies just have to log into each and save :cry: You would think :!: Not only will it not save newly entered logins but it won't recognize established passwords on some sites. I e. FF forum, why I'm on my PC typing this.

2nd) Can't just open a new window by clicking on FF icon and have to go to opened web page and click on menu to open a new window and in some cases they all seem to be linked closing one closes all :cry:

3) Not a Mac issue, but troublesome, Had an issue on my PC with Outlook Mail. Thought the Mac would resolve it but it hasn't. FF security icon keeps indicating as NOT SECURE on web mail Outlook.live com on FF every time I receive, review or send emails first started on my PC now on the Mac Off course Outlook denies it has anything to do with their website

I knew transitioning from a PC to Mac was going to be a learning curve, but I didn't think windows would display and perform so differently. Help Please :!: I was on the phone with apple care and they said they don't support Performance issues on FF.
dfoulkes

Re: Migrated FF from PC to Mac, Password are not saving or e

Post by dfoulkes »

Not sure that I can help here... no Mac background. And I think I know what CC is... but can you detail it out please. ... And if it's the tool I think it is... the 'format and structure' of Firefox files for Windows may not be the same for Mac ... so, restoring from one to the other may be your problem.

One basic thing to try out on your Mac is to create a test profile... use it as-is for testing your issues...

Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
therube

Post by therube »

it won't recognize established passwords on some sites
As a test, create a new, clean Profile, & see if those passwords work there.
Can't just open a new window by clicking on FF icon
Any change if you restart in Safe Mode?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
puter illit

Post by puter illit »

dfoulkes wrote:Not sure that I can help here... no Mac background. And I think I know what CC is... but can you detail it out please. ... And if it's the tool I think it is... the 'format and structure' of Firefox files for Windows may not be the same for Mac ... so, restoring from one to the other may be your problem.

One basic thing to try out on your Mac is to create a test profile... use it as-is for testing your issues...

Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.
CC = Customer Care/Apple support, lol Not a tool unless that includes the genius at apple ](*,) I'm just as lost as you as this is my first Mac. And their promises that they will support the migrations is bogus and has been like pulling teeth just to get them to do the basics. OK that being said Saved profile is not the problem saved correctly and downloaded OK, the problem is FF for Mac and Mac's security configurations not allowing Passwords to transition or for that matter blocking them from saving and in some cases won't even allow you to enter them to log in to sites. It has to be a configuration on the Mac but Apple Support won't assist if it's not their application. Need someone FF for Mac knowledgeable to assist. Thank you for trying though.
puter illit

Post by puter illit »

therube wrote:
it won't recognize established passwords on some sites
As a test, create a new, clean Profile, & see if those passwords work there.

(That's a lot of work to change all my frequently used websites when I don't think that will work as it won't even recognize or except sites established login's newly typed in. Been told Apple blocks some sites even If FF recognizes them as ligit using Windows O/S)
Can't just open a new window by clicking on FF icon
Any change if you restart in Safe Mode?
Hate Mac ](*,) Apple support said I have to open new window by holding command & N, no short cut to just opening by clicking FF in task bar so they say.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

puter illit wrote:Apple support said I have to open new window by holding command & N, no short cut to just opening by clicking FF in task bar so they say.
puter illit wrote:CC installed FF for me & installed saved Profile from my external HD
That was a mistake. You should have installed FF over the Internet from Mozilla and then after quitting FF transferred a few files since they are identical in Win and Mac. The files are:

Bookmarks ---> places.sqlite
Favicons ---> favicons.sqlite
Passwords ---> logins.json and key3.db
puter illit wrote:I knew transitioning from a PC to Mac was going to be a learning curve
Actually it is a regression since WIN is about a half decade behind Mac :wink:

Hopefully you are operating from an account that is an "admin" account and you installed FF using that account. Then the FF profile will be located in

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Firefox

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
puter illit

Post by puter illit »

RobertJ wrote:
puter illit wrote:Apple support said I have to open new window by holding command & N, no short cut to just opening by clicking FF in task bar so they say.
puter illit wrote:CC installed FF for me & installed saved Profile from my external HD
That was a mistake. You should have installed FF over the Internet from Mozilla and then after quitting FF transferred a few files since they are identical in Win and Mac. The files are:

puter illit wrote:I knew transitioning from a PC to Mac was going to be a learning curve

Hopefully you are operating from an account that is an "admin" account and you installed FF using that account. Then the FF profile will be located in

Hummmm? Genius Bar Tech did download it from Mozilla web site, however files migrated were over the phone with Senior Support tach Apple Care and you are correct he just downloaded the profile file, not separately from my external HD while FF was open. And yes I am admin on both. However, I don't think I have a Firefox Acct been using it for to many years and don't remember ever creating an accct or a log in.

Thank U will do a do over next week somewhat burnt out this week with other issues migrating over into Mac I'll let you know how it works out.
puter illit

Post by puter illit »

RobertJ wrote:

Wonder if I can ask an alternate Question. was at a puter workshop last week and discussed the issue, said the easiest way would be to create a FF acct. on my PC then login in on the mac everything would just open correctly. I've had FF for eons and never officially created an acct or sign in except for the forum. How do I create as a new acct. saving existing data profile/Bookmarks/passwords?