interactive webpages broken in Firefox 57

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mms

interactive webpages broken in Firefox 57

Post by mms »

Firefox used to work fine with Barnes & Noble feedback pages and Earthlink address book "new contact" entry page. But not since FF57. Other interactive pages (forms, etc.) sometimes work, sometimes not. I have very few working extensions now. I tried pausing Ghostery and disabling AdBlock Plus, but no improvements. Any ideas how to fix this?
DanRaisch

Re: interactive webpages broken in Firefox 57

Post by DanRaisch »

Please provide a specific URL that's not working for you, other than Earthlink as that requires a user account.
mms

Post by mms »

I'd love to, but they are all tied to accounts. Very frustrating, since I think java may be part of the problem.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Java, or JavaScript? They are not the same thing.
mms

Post by mms »

Don't know, just a guess. I do know the last time I tried to update java after FF57, FF57 blocked it.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Unless you work with custom Java programs from your company or the like, you are probably thinking of JavaScript.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/npapi-plugins
mms

Post by mms »

I am not a java or java script expert by any means, but I do know when a platform or network tells me they block updates. Something about Chrome thinking java is a security threat.

Regardless, most aggravating when I now have no way to update my address book (earthlink) or give seller feedback (Barnes and Noble). I've encountered a couple others, but I don't recall exactly whch ones they were to pass on their links.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That's more likely an issue of JavaScript then. Have you tried starting Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

Also see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox
mms

Post by mms »

Default profile choked in Eventbrite end screen "buy tickets" this evening.

Safe mode had even worse lockdown in Eventbrite site when I tried that. Nothing at all worked at first screen.

New test profile (no add-ons, no bookmarks, no custom settings) worked, but the diagnostic protocol seems like an awful lot of steps to fix something that may or may not resolve by the end of it. Particularly when I have very few add-ons after FF57.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

New test profile (no add-ons, no bookmarks, no custom settings) worked, but the diagnostic protocol seems like an awful lot of steps to fix something that may or may not resolve by the end of it. Particularly when I have very few add-ons after FF57.
And yet the new profile works where the old one did not, proving that the basic problem was with the old profile and not with the program itself.
mms

Post by mms »

I'm beginning to see why folks are leaving. The time and knowledge required to fix something that wasn't broken prior to chrome just isn't there for many of us. Every time a significant upgrade happens, I lose time I really, really don't have to try to restore functionality.

I stuck with FF this far because of privacy and data Hoovering by the Frightful Five. And now-deceased/disabled legacy extensions did things I can't do or do nearly as efficiently in other browsers. Chrome is starting to change the calculus, however.

I mean this as an observation, not a snark or whine so please don't be offended.

Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

just logged in, all fine. and i am not leaving because i had to adjust ublock for this page.
if a clean profile wont help its another system software blocking, possible antivirus.
try windows safe mode with network (open msconfig.exe) and try again. if that helps out, you have your culprit solved - its a driver.

no firefox problem!