Detatching address book "cards"

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
slickrcbd

Detatching address book "cards"

Post by slickrcbd »

I recall on an old version of Thunderbird I could double-click on a name in the address book search results and a separate window would open with that. Then I could go back to the results and open a second window with a second contact.
Useful for coordinating with two people if you don't have 3-way calling and don't have their numbers memorized.
Obviously I haven't done this in a while, but I just tried a few minutes ago and I got a modal dialog box instead that I had to hit "OK" or "Cancel" before I could open a second window.

Does something like what I described still exist, and how do I use it, or was it something that was in an ancient version like say Thunderbird 2 for Windows 98SE that was dropped a long time ago?
tanstaafl

Re: Detatching address book "cards"

Post by tanstaafl »

Its been a modal window for a long time. You might try the CardBook add-on and see if it acts differently. You can launch another version of Thunderbird with a -addressbook command line argument. That displays only the address book window, so it can co-exist with a normal instance of Thunderbird. See if that lets you select two contacts at the same time (one per instance).

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Start_Address ... mmand_line
slickrcbd

Re: Detatching address book "cards"

Post by slickrcbd »

Oh well, I just thought maybe I was doing something wrong and I needed to use a different approach to achieve the same effect.