Will there be anything similar to 56

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
allstock

Will there be anything similar to 56

Post by allstock »

I updated to 57 and had to revert. Pages were all askew and pics were even worse. I really do like FF but the 57 was too much to keep using. I'm not a fanboy, just a utilitarian.
Brummelchen

Re: Will there be anything similar to 56

Post by Brummelchen »

create a new profile
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
or
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

This article explains how to selectively transfer Firefox user data and settings to a new Firefox profile
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox
allstock

Post by allstock »

I guess I wasn't clear or hopefully I'm being clear enough. I have used 57 for a few hours and didn't like it at all. What I was wondering if the any of the newer builds behave like 56 or should I wait longer down the road.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Firefox 57 is the future of Firefox - Mozilla ain't gonna change it because you don't like it.

Ask us for help with changing what you don't like about Firefox 57 or use a different browser.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

allstock

Post by allstock »

the-edmeister wrote:Firefox 57 is the future of Firefox - Mozilla ain't gonna change it because you don't like it.

Ask us for help with changing what you don't like about Firefox 57 or use a different browser.
I have been using other browsers more frequently now, firefox isn't the only one on my machines. I will be waiting for others to come, they always do. I doubt you're a firefox developer so my changes goes deeper than my user profile. Thanks for trying to help...or posting.
Last edited by allstock on December 26th, 2017, 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
allstock

Post by allstock »

Thank you, but I'm not sure if this is what I need. If this is support for the previous builds I think I can manage without until I find something I want to stick with. I don't visit questionable websites and use security outside of firefox.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That web site is the official download site for previous versions of Firefox. There is nothing questionable about it.
Newer builds than 57 will be like 57. The older style of Firefox is not coming back as official release versions.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

current ESR is more secure than your used v56 - v56 is highly vulnerable. if your system gets infected because of vulnerable browser you are potential risk for other users because it is possible to spread malware with your computer.
allstock

Post by allstock »

DanRaisch wrote:That web site is the official download site for previous versions of Firefox. There is nothing questionable about it.
Newer builds than 57 will be like 57. The older style of Firefox is not coming back as official release versions.
I was referring to my surfing habits, not the link given in the prior post.
allstock

Post by allstock »

Brummelchen wrote:current ESR is more secure than your used v56 - v56 is highly vulnerable. if your system gets infected because of vulnerable browser you are potential risk for other users because it is possible to spread malware with your computer.
I think the malware tools I use are sufficient. My web browsing habits are very secure and limited to very transparent and public sites. If worse case scenario happens I'll know and if I can't recover it's ok. I always back-up and sandbox anything that I don't trust.

On a different note I'm starting to use EPIC browser. Read a lot of great things about it. Not saying I won't leave FF totally. Thanks for the replies!
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

allstock wrote:
Brummelchen wrote:current ESR is more secure than your used v56 - v56 is highly vulnerable. if your system gets infected because of vulnerable browser you are potential risk for other users because it is possible to spread malware with your computer.
I think the malware tools I use are sufficient. My web browsing habits are very secure and limited to very transparent and public sites. If worse case scenario happens I'll know and if I can't recover it's ok. I always back-up and sandbox anything that I don't trust.
Good for you.

However, these are public forums which is why Brummelchen was correct (and indeed, didn't have much choice) to point out the very real security pitfalls of using outdated versions of Firefox, compared with using the ESR version.

I dare say it can seem flattering for all these people to be giving advice to you here - but, they're not, they are actually giving advice to both you and, more importantly, all the other people reading this thread, now and in the future.

So, use/do what you like, our concern is about getting the correct advice out there. ;)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

this one i copy - but my used software is more uptodate ;) i have 52esr latest running for testing purpose but any other between 52 and 57 is really questionable.

one reason:
https://www.camp-firefox.de/forum/viewt ... 1&t=123793

i never read similar threat at mozillazine, but even firefox 57 could be impacted for a loop (v58 resolved), but earlier builds a vulnerable to this phishing crap. using uBlock can avoid looping because the page scripts not running, ABP cant do this and NS i dont know, maybe by default blocking).

some of those malicious pages had opened with ebay pages - pity. i never had issues on ebay or paypal.
allstock

Post by allstock »

Frank Lion wrote:
allstock wrote:
Good for you.

However, these are public forums which is why Brummelchen was correct (and indeed, didn't have much choice) to point out the very real security pitfalls of using outdated versions of Firefox, compared with using the ESR version.

I dare say it can seem flattering for all these people to be giving advice to you here - but, they're not, they are actually giving advice to both you and, more importantly, all the other people reading this thread, now and in the future.

So, use/do what you like, our concern is about getting the correct advice out there. ;)
What makes you think people get flattered by responses in a web browser forum. I'm an American and to me this is a place of utilitarian discussion. I don't see it as hobby that you might. I'm looking for useful help - not flattery. Are you kidding me? You need to refrain from nonsensical posting here.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Before this devolves any further, I'm locking this thread. Question has been answered and the warning for using outdated software delivered. Any further complaints should be posted in Site Discussion.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.