Firefox weirdness about applications for jpegs. [Mac.]

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
danll

Firefox weirdness about applications for jpegs. [Mac.]

Post by danll »

OK, this is pretty bizarre, and I'm not even completely sure I can blame it on Firefox. I'm using FF 57.03, and an iMac running El Capitan.

I go to a web page, and pull an image off of the webpage onto the desktop as a jpeg. I click that jpeg to open it. It opens in MPEG Streamclip. Uh, what? With Get Info, I tell that file to open with Preview (as I would rather) and instruct the system to open all such files with Preview. Now, it does that properly. Every jpeg I then open opens in Preview.

BUT, when I pull another jpeg image off a Firefox webpage onto the desktop, it again opens in MPEG Streamclip. Huh? And EVERY jpeg I click on then opens in MPEG Streamclip. Huh, huh?

Someone has told my OS to open all jpegs in MPEG Streamclip, and it happened when I pulled an image off a Firefox screen. Is Firefox responsible for this? What default is pointing Firefox to MPEG Streamclip? In my Firefox Preferences>General>Applications, jpegs are not listed, and all other file types are told to "Always Ask". MPEG Streamclip never appears there as a default.Where is that default determined and why in the world is it telling the entire system how to open all files of that type?
Last edited by LIMPET235 on January 1st, 2018, 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Mac] to the title.
jcostello

Re: Firefox weirdness about applications for jpegs

Post by jcostello »

Same thing here with an iMac running Yosemite. Instead of my choice GraphicConverter it changes the default to Preview.
danll

Re: Firefox weirdness about applications for jpegs. [Mac.]

Post by danll »

So, if Firefox is going to change ALL application defaults on it's own, which is kinda nasty, where can we edit those defaults?

Also, I trashed my handlers.json file, and when I relaunched Firefox, it kept doing the same thing.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

I cannot reproduce what you are describing. With FF57.0.3 on 10.13.2 macOS High Sierra on a Mac Pro when I drag an image from a web page to the desktop the suffix is "jpeg", the icon is Preview and when double clicking on it it opens in Preview.

I tested this on eight images on eight different sites.

MPEG Streamclip is a video converter which should be irrelevant. After you drag the image to the desktop and BEFORE you do anything do a Get Info on the file and see what "Open with" shows as the default.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
danll

Post by danll »

Yes, I understand that MPEG Streamclip ought to be irrelevant, but Firefox is changing the default application of the file to that. For jcostello, and you it's changing it to Preview. That's what I want!

I drag the image to the desktop. A jpeg MIME-type is produced. Before I do anything else with it, Get Info says "Open with:" is MPEG Streamclip! That's the default.

Who in the world is telling Firefox to do that??? Where is this default determined, and how do I change it?
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Dlester99 wrote:Where is this default determined, and how do I change it?
It is determine by the OS. After dragging a file to the desktop do a Get Info and then change the "Open with" default to Preview. Then click on the Change All... button.

danll

Post by danll »

Yes, that's what I did. I dragged the file to the desktop, changed "Open with" to Preview, and clicked the Change All. That should always make the OS open jpegs with Preview, right? But then I pull another jpeg off of Firefox, and BOOM, that OS default is changed to MPEG Streamclip.

One issue is that I don't know where Firefox is getting the MPEG Streamclip default (sort of a bizarre choice for displaying jpegs), and another (perhaps more major) issue is that Firefox is telling the OS how it should be opening all jpegs! Firefox has no business changing an OS default.

This may actually be a defect in my particular OS.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Sounds like the Launch Agent preferences are screwed up in the OS. Try reading this

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/rebuild-la ... open-menu/

As a quick thing you might want to delete MPEG Streamclip and empty the trash; you can always reinstall it.

danll

Post by danll »

Well, I tried resetting the Launch agent, and now things are the same, except the images pulled off of Firefox always want to open up in Colorsync Utility, and my system has been told to open up ALL jpegs in ColorSync Utility. I can change all jpegs to be opened up in Preview UNTIL I pull a jpeg off of Firefox. Then every jpeg tries to open up with ColorSync Utility.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Are you dragging the images or right clicking on them and selecting Save Image As... ?

danll

Post by danll »

Well, now that I play around with it, it seems that the problem originates in dragging images from Firefox. If I set jpegs to always open in Preview, and do :"Save Image As ...", everything stays set to Preview. But all hell breaks loose if I drag an image off the Firefox window. Then all jpegs want to open in something else. Most recently, ColorSync Utility. Weird.

Why should it make a difference?
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

It shouldn't. If you want we can check a couple of things. Go to FF Preferences > General and scroll down to Applications and see if there is an entry for Content Type jpeg.

danll

Post by danll »

No, there is not a Content Type entry of jpeg in FF Preferences > General > Applications. Sure would be nice to be able to put one there!
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Sorry for taking so long. Need to look into this to understand the difference between Save as... and dragging. In the meantime you have a work around.