Firefox weirdness about applications for jpegs. [Mac.]

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
danll

Re: Firefox weirdness about applications for jpegs. [Mac.]

Post by danll »

Interestingly, if I drag an image off of Chrome or Safari, there is no problem. This seems to be a Firefox issue.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Interesting since I don't have that issue. You profile may be corrupted.

Try creating a new temporary profile. Quit FF and then go to

Applications > Utilities and launch Terminal.app

Then paste this in exactly without the quotes

"/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox -P"

and hit return

You will see a screen that looks like this

click on the "Create Profile" button and follow the instructions. See if that helps.

To go back to your old or default profile simply quit and restart FF from the profile manager and select your default profile.
FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
danll

Post by danll »

Nope that didn't work. I create a new profile, start Firefox in it, drag a jpg off of the Firefox screen, and that image still wants to open in ColorSync Utility.

But yes, I have a convenient workaround. DON'T DRAG AN IMAGE!
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Since you had a new blank profile I'm now convinced there is some issue with the OS; however, I have no clue.

RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

I just tried dragging a jpeg file on my wife's MacBook Pro using FF57.0.3 and 10.13.2 macOS High Sierra. Worked perfectly.

danll

Post by danll »

Yes, it must be with the OS, but it's peculiar that the problem happens only with Firefox.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Not a Mac user, but you two are running different release versions - 10.11 vs 10.13 - maybe a change in the OS as to what program to use >?
therube

Post by therube »

URL to these images?
Have you check these (dragged) images to see if in fact they are images?
(Maybe you are dragging something that you're expecting to be an image, but in fact is not.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
danll

Post by danll »

Well, when you drag them to the desktop, their filenames have .jpg suffixes. So the system thinks they are jpegs.
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

Dlester99 wrote:Well, when you drag them to the desktop, their filenames have .jpg suffixes. So the system thinks they are jpegs.
The ".jpg" is just part of the file name. It doesn't necessarily mean the file contains a jpg-formatted image, or any image at all. On Linux (and I suppose also Mac), there
is a program run whenever the type of a file becomes a question, that looks inside the file and tries to determine the type by examining the contents. It is a very unreliable
method (on my Linux installations, there are thousands of mis-identified files), and IMO having a file mis-identified is far worse than having none at all. Have you seen
any explicit declarations from your OS/file ID program about the type of these alleged "jpg" files?
danll

Post by danll »

Well, that's true. Looking at it more carefully, they are actually Exif or Jfif files, which are just containers for jpegs. That determines the MIME type jpg suffix that they are given.
jcostello

Off topic split from 3036979 - DanRaisch

Post by jcostello »

Here is my longer story:

I had this happen when I used the Developer Version 56 as my standard browser and regulary tried out Nightly. I realized after the start of this thread, that it didn't happen again since I switched to Waterfox 56 entirely about ten days ago. I could never reliably reproduce it, but it happened very often, especially after the use of drag and drop or an update of the browser. I strongly suspect that Firefox changed the defaults for some file types on installation (update) or when triggered in a special way while saving an image. I tried most of the things mentionded here, including different profiles and fiddling with the application preferences in Firefox, and since it has never happened before and the problem has stopped with the switch to Waterfox I don‘t think there's anything wrong with my system.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

OK, let us resolve this. Dlester99 and jcostello provide me with a URL and a jpeg image where this happens. I will try it in FF 57.0.3 and FF 58b13.

Not quite apple to apple (PUN) since my OS is 10.13.2 and yours are 10.11 and 10.10 respectfully.

I will be around for about 45 minutes and then return tomorrow.

danll

Post by danll »

I just went to cnn.com and grabbed some images on the home page. There is an image there of a frozen waterfall - 180102152350-07-winter-weather-0102-medium-tease.jpg. Heh. Now when I drag that image off my desktop, it wants to open the jpeg in Firefox! So much for ColorSync Utility and MPEG Streamclip. The way it is now, once I drag that picture off, ALL my jpegs want to open in Firefox. This gets weirder and weirder. Something is changing.

I think the zero order question is, how do I add jpegs as a "Content Type" in Firefox Preferences/General/Applications, so I can designate an "Action" of opening Preview. I don't have a clue how to add to that "Applications" list.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Dlester99, I went to cnn.com and dragged a picture using FF57.0.3 of the frozen fountain to my desktop. On the desktop the suffix is "jpg". When I double click on it it opens in Preview as a JPG.

I also dragged the picture of Tom Brady to the desktop with the same result.

NOTE: I got the same result using FF58b13.

I do not believe this is a FF issue; will return in the AM and see if jcostello responded.