How to make same filter for different accounts?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Dirki

How to make same filter for different accounts?

Post by Dirki »

I receive the same spam mails in different account (to different e-mail addresses).

How can one make one single filter for the same spam / unwanted e-mails (one gets in different accounts)? Instead of making one filter for each account the spam goes to.
- Windows 11 Home, 22H2, 64bit
- newest stable portable Firefox (not beta)
- newest stable portable Thunderbird (not beta)
DanRaisch

Re: How to make same filter for different accounts?

Post by DanRaisch »

Copy the file msgFilterRules.dat, which contains the filter definitions, from one account to the other. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Filters_%28Thunderbird%29
Dirki

Post by Dirki »

Thank you very much!

Hmmm, I could imagine that meant the msgFilterRules.dat files in the other acounts would be overwritten. So their filters would be lost. Or am I missing anything?
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Dirki wrote:Thank you very much!

Hmmm, I could imagine that meant the msgFilterRules.dat files in the other acounts would be overwritten. So their filters would be lost. Or am I missing anything?
Yes, that is correct. ALL the filters from the source account would overwrite the filters in the destination account.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

But that file is a plain text file so you might be able to combine files if you already have filters set up for the other account into which you intend to copy.
Dirki

Post by Dirki »

OK, thank you, makaiguy.
But that file is a plain text file so you might be able to combine files if you already have filters set up for the other account into which you intend to copy.
I see, so I just can add the content of a msgFilterRules.dat file to another msgFilterRules.dat file and that's it. Just copy its content beneath the content of another msgFilterRules.dat file.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It could be, but I suggest that you copy the file from each account under a new name, possible related to the account. That way if there is any conflict or problem with the combined data you can go back to what you started with.
Dirki

Post by Dirki »

Alright, so Thunderbrid can process more than one msgFilterRules.dat files per accront and recognizes those files although having other names than the original one..

So I could rename a msgFilterRules.dat file of an account to e.g. msgFilterRules-other-account.dat and copy it to another account so I would have msgFilterRules.dat and msgFilterRules-other-account.dat in the same account.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Alright, so Thunderbrid can process more than one msgFilterRules.dat files per accront and recognizes those files although having other names than the original one.
No, that's not what I said. I was suggesting that you rename those files so they would serve as backups, not as active filter files. Thunderbird will only recognize files named msgFilterRules.dat when seeking to run filters on an account. Please read the information in the link I posted above to better understand that there are no profile wide filters, only account specific filters.
Dirki

Post by Dirki »

I see, very sorry for my bad understanding.

Alright, I will do it like that and use the renamed files as a back up. Yes, I had read the information on that page, I'll do it once again.

Many thanks!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.