Firefox weirdness about applications for jpegs. [Mac.]

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
danll

Re: Firefox weirdness about applications for jpegs. [Mac.]

Post by danll »

Thanks. Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the way it used to work for me. That's the way I *want* it to work! But something changed. Now, "Preview" is like an afterthought for opening these jpegs. In fact, when I change "Open with:" on the particular jpeg, it doesn't even offer up Preview as a recommended application. I have to dig into "Other" to locate it and select it. I too believe that Firefox isn't an issue, though I seem to have the problem only with images I drag out of Firefox.
jcostello

Post by jcostello »

Went to CNN, could not find a picture with a waterfall, dragged some other pictures there, no problem with Waterfox like the last ten days. Now I opened Nightly, updated it and after a restart went to CNN, dragged some pictures and now my default is changed to the wrong program again.

Now I open the Developer edition. Update it. Control my system, default is OK. Go to CNN, save a picture, default is OK. Drag a picture to my download folder, default is now changed!

All three different profiles. No pending update for Waterfox, could not try that.
danll

Post by danll »

Thank you jcostello. I'm not familiar with Waterfox. Is that relevant here because it is a Mozilla browser product related to Firefox? If I understand correctly you're seeing the same behavior as I am with Firefox 57. In this context, again it is worth noting that I don't see this issue with Chrome or Safari.
jcostello

Post by jcostello »

Waterfox is basically Firefox 56, thats why I brought it up, I wouldn‘t have mentioned it otherwise. My Waterfox profile is a copy of my Developer Edition profile.
jcostello

Post by jcostello »

I tried it again. I opened Nightly, this time without updating, went straight to CNN, dragged one picture, my defaults are changed again.

Edit: Just the same with the Developer Version, my defaults are changed again. No problem with Waterfox.
danll

Post by danll »

The bottom line seems to be that under certain yet-to-be-determined circumstances, Firefox 57 is messing with system defaults. Is this an OS issue? Just for 10.10 and 10.11? I find it a little worrisome when an app starts messing with system defaults.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

RobertJ wrote:.
Dlester99, I went to cnn.com and dragged a picture using FF57.0.3 of the frozen fountain to my desktop. On the desktop the suffix is "jpg". When I double click on it it opens in Preview as a JPG.

NOTE: I got the same result using FF58b13.
As I also noted I cannot reproduce this on my wife's Mac running FF57.0.3 and OS 10.13.2. With regard to FF changing system defaults that would be a no. The only thing FF does is when you download a file it will use the HTML type Attribute in the header to determine what to do with it. Note, this is a process internal to FF and has no impact on the system.

I know someone in France who is a FF/Mac person and will ask him to do this experiment. Still think this is a system issue; with Mac OS upgrades free any reason you are both 2/3 versions behind?

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
danll

Post by danll »

I stay at least one version behind because new versions always come with problems. But in any case, I'm using older Macs, and I don't need the iOS interfaces the new versions bring.

In this case, Firefox seems to be changing system default apps for files. That's not just internal to Firefox. Those default apps are assigned by the system, usually based on MIME type. There are workarounds, but it would be nice to get to the bottom of this.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Dlester99 wrote:In this case, Firefox seems to be changing system default apps for files.
Dragging an image from a screen is under control of the Finder. On the other hand doing a right click Save as... is under control of the application.

I will update when I hear from my friend in France.

Again very difficult to help with something I cannot reproduce on two Macs using various versions of FF (57.0.3, 58b13 and Nightly).

danll

Post by danll »

Yes, that makes sense about Finder being in control of dragging images. But it is a little odd that I don't see the same effect with Chrome or Safari. Something about Firefox that makes the Finder do that.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Dlester99 wrote:But it is a little odd that I don't see the same effect with Chrome or Safari. Something about Firefox that makes the Finder do that.
It has been a long time since it was simple to reset Finder preferences. Let me see what my French connection has to say.

Eckard

Post by Eckard »

Hi Bob,
RobertJ wrote: I will update when I hear from my friend in France.
Sorry that I didn't look earlier into this thread, I'd caught a nasty virus at the end of the year.
Running macOS Sierra and FF 57.0.3 I can confirm the issue described by Diester99.
Dragging & dropping an image from a web page to the desktop results in files represented by a text file icon, most times without any suffix and sometimes with the *.qjob suffix. In the "Info" window there is no default program indicated for most of these files, for some of them it would be TextEdit.app but
double-clicking these files opens them with Preview ...
See my screencast https://www.dropbox.com/s/ai6ryf9swfxms ... 3.mov?dl=0

I cannot observe this behavior in FirefoNightly !
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Eckard wrote:In the "Info" window there is no default program indicated for most of these files, for some of them it would be TextEdit.app but
double-clicking these files opens them with Preview ...
See my screencast https://www.dropbox.com/s/ai6ryf9swfxms ... 3.mov?dl=0
I cannot observe this behavior in FirefoNightly !
This is truly bizarre, expecially the part about double clicking and the file opening in Preview.

Thank you Eckard

jonalist

Post by jonalist »

Dlester99 wrote:pull an image off of the webpage onto the desktop as a jpeg
Nothing to fear simply remove the "e" from "jpeg" and save the file as a "jpg" because a jpeg is a standard for all jog images, ever buy a DVD player & want to see the images and you saved all JPEG's on your DVD and nothing displays. Next time remember to remove the "e" before you save that file and for a opening program that is free with many plug-ins also for video and audio you can download and install Irfanview http://www.irfanview.com/ which gives you editing capability for them before you burn that DVD.
Pepitaux

Post by Pepitaux »

Hi everybody,

I have exactly the same problem, since I moved to Firefox 57 on my Macbook Air with MacOS Sierra at the time. It only happens with Firefox, not with the other web browsers. It did not happen with older versions of Firefox.
Here is the problem: I display any jpeg (extension .jpeg or .jpg) image found on Google, I drag and drop it on my desktop, and 99% of the time the default app to open the image has changed (in my case, from "Preview'" to "Neat Image").
Now I run Firefox 59 on MacOS High Sierra, and the problem is still there.

Any question about my config, let me know.