Back up saved logins on quantum? Part 2.

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Brother Rabbit

Back up saved logins on quantum? Part 2.

Post by Brother Rabbit »

Sorry to hijack this thread. If I need to post new, please just let me know.

First post on the forum. Usually I can find the exact information I need without posting. I really appreciate everyone who has helped me out on here.

The issue I'm having is I just Refeshed Firefox on my main PC using Firefox 58.0b13, believing what the Refresh page stated: "Firefox will save these items... passwords"

Passwords were not in fact saved post Refresh... (one of my personal nightmares)

Fortunately (in most respects) I have used Sync for some time and had a profile with the relevant passwords on another computer...
Unfortunately, it's been a REEEEaaalllyyy long time and that other computer is a Vista, which has the ESR 52.5.3 Version of Firefox and uses key3.db.

I have already transferred the key3.db and login.json files to the main computer with Firefox inactive during the transfer and have restarted my computer.

The passwords won't seem to populate?

I did a bit of research on key4.db and it seems that some people have still had luck simply adding the key3.db to their v58 profiles with no trouble.

What am I doing wrong? Hep'meh? =:xB
Brummelchen

Re: Back up saved logins on quantum?

Post by Brummelchen »

stop using sync? using sync with older versions can and will cause issues.

upgrading from older firefox -> refresh profile or even better: new profile

This article explains how to selectively transfer Firefox user data and settings to a new Firefox profile
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox
MicroNut

Post by MicroNut »

Also if you are using Windows then try PasswordFox to export passwords... [hope you get them to populate again.]

It still works on Windows 10 and FireFox 57.04 - tested ok

PasswordFox v1.58 - Extract the user names/passwords stored in Firefox
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/passwordfox.html
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

in general i have stored all my password secured outside (no program). HTH
Brother Rabbit

Post by Brother Rabbit »

I've been synced with this Vista computer since I bought the new one about 5 years ago and never had an issue with anything but the occasional tab transfer, despite tabs not being selected to sync, which can be a pain as I stupidly save tasks as tabs sometimes, but I've had no further trouble.

It wasn't sync that caused the issue, as the Vista still has all the passwords saved. It was definitely due to Firefox Refresh not doing what it was advertised to do, "save... passwords". I've even used that before on the newer Win10 system and it didn't delete them before.

Before I relegate myself to manually transferring over 300 or so passwords, I just have ask again.

Is there any way to easily transfer between the key3.db and a key4.db?

Will attempt the PasswordFox suggestion in the event I don't have any better option, just don't like adding anything from an unknown source, if I can avoid it. Thanks for the suggestion though MicroNut. :)

And I appreciate your input too Brummelchen, I already do have a physical backup of all my most important passwords, but the idea of having to manually backup all 300 of my legacy account information physically just doesn't appeal, considering Sync has, in the past, done it for me for years admirably.

My goal is to get my Sync passwords transferred from the key3.db to the key4.db format somehow.

Anyone considering developing an extension for this and aggregating it through Firefox's official add-ons/extensions database? Anyone? *crickets chirp* Alrighty then.

Appreciate any further info/assistance that can be provided.
allande

Post by allande »

This is just speculation:
Passwords work on the vista computer, with the key3.db file and logins.json. Firefox 56 supported key3.db, sounds like 57 does as well, Firefox 58 supports key4.db. When Firefox 58 is installed as an official upgrade from 57 you would expect the passwords to be upgraded and work. Presumed solution: install Firefox 57 on the new computer. If the passwords are not there, manually copy the key3.db and logins.json file to your profile on the new computer. That should bring the passwords back. When Firefox 58 is officially released at the end of January, install it and it should migrate the passwords over. At that point if you want to get back on the beta train you can do so.

Further speculation: using sync between a new and old version will mess everything up. So as soon as possible strive to stop doing that.
Brother Rabbit

Post by Brother Rabbit »

I appreciate that. Will attempt when I get a chance.
Again, this wasn't an issue between v52 and v58, it was 100% caused by Firefox Refresh not saving passwords, which i think is a commonly known occasional issue that I was unfortunately not aware of just reading the Refresh page info.
Still haven't seen any major issues syncing between older/newer versions.
I guess my question is define "mess up everything". Just haven't seen it.
Brummelchen

Re: Back up saved logins on quantum? Part 2.

Post by Brummelchen »

about refresh
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... d-settings
Firefox will save these items:

Bookmarks *
Browsing and download history
Passwords *
Open windows and tabs
Cookies
Web form auto-fill information *
Personal dictionary
* those files are not backward compatible (incl favicons)

not saving passwords means that those files were corrupted, but firefox cant do this.

just did (for testing purpose) a migration from v54-profile with v58b14, refresh and all passwords were present.
i dont use sync.

you have to be more precisely with your descriptions otherwise there is no way to reproduce.
Prof. Martelo

Post by Prof. Martelo »

Delete the existing key4.db. Then copy the key3.db and logon.json. Start firefox. A new key4.db will be generated.
Brother Rabbit

Post by Brother Rabbit »

Prof. Martelo, you're a life saver! I knew it would be something that simple. Worked like a charm. So much grief lifted off my shoulders.

Brummelchen, apologies, thought I had provided all pertinent info, but I appreciate the * info, about items not being backwards compatible with sync. Wish they had your version on the Refresh page info. For my part, I do still recommend using sync as it's saved me from countless problems and data loss in the past, both at work and at home, as in this case, though I fully agree it's a risk with legacy OS version limitations.

allande, actually wish I had had the opportunity to attempt your solution, which was innovative and yet brilliant in it's simplicity. Deleting key4.db was just a bit more simplistic, which is good enough for me. ;)

Thanks again everyone. So glad it was a simple fix. Just wish there had been better info on this situation in the actual Mozilla Support content so I didn't have to waste everyone's time with such a simple fix. =:xB
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

all fine, no worry here. files in profiles:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox (not current but a beginning)
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... -user-data (more current but not all noted)

its a matter of trial&error - but i can not speak for sync. i try to move settings between devices unfortunately i can not import my bookmarks on android.