Firefox might cause blue screen for death

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
zillah

Firefox might cause blue screen for death

Post by zillah »

Dear Expert

Recently whenever I use Firefox V57.0.3 blue screen of death happens, and couple of times

before blue screen of death occurs many crash reports generated and I do send them.

Now I stopped using Firefox and I am using Chrome so far no screen pops up yet.

How steps should I follow to fix the problem ?

Thx
James

Re: Firefox might cause blue screen for death

Post by James »

An application like Firefox itself does not cause BSOD. No version of Firefox for Windows has ever been found to be the cause of BSOD that I have seen over the years.

Under the right circumstances something may trigger the BSOD to happen. GPU drivers, bad memory stick(s), load on power supply or loose connections, a low level software like a firewall or antivirus, overheating of something etc.

https://www.howtogeek.com/163452/everyt ... -of-death/
zillah

Post by zillah »

Noted
Thx
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

This is a good program to keep an eye on your processor running temperature: Core Temp (if you click on the link that says "More downloads..." you can download a portable version). Ideally you should dust out your processor heat-sink and fan at least once a year. For serious problems with over-heating of the processor then you would need to re-do the thermal paste for the processor and heat-sink. Best compound to use for the heatsink/processor interface is Artic Silver. There are instructions on how to apply the compound at that website.

I mention all this because, many years ago, I had a computer that would just outright shut-down. After a bit of research discovered it was the processor running too hot and the system shutting down to protect the processor. Lesson learnt. Run Core Temp always (in the Notification Area settings get it to show the "Highest temperature"), dust out fan and heatsink once a year - re-do thermal paste if temp is consistently high - do these things and things run smoothly.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

go c:\windows\minidumps
pack the last 3 dmp files and upload it elsewhere to investigate.

i dont think its temperature, more a driver.
if it wont crash in windows safe mode + network (open msconfig.exe to configure next boot) then its for sure a driver.
zillah

Post by zillah »

i dont think its temperature, more a driver
Agree
If it was a temperature it would have crashed when I am using chrome or Internet explorer
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

I only mentioned temp as a possibility - from experience. It's something worth keeping a watch on regardless if it is the actual problem or not - someday it might, left long enough - will, become the problem.

Saying, "If it was a temperature it would have crashed when I am using chrome or Internet explorer" Isn't necessarily sound logic. Could be that Chrome and IE don't drive the processor so hard so temp doesn't climb so high. However, I do agree that most likely the problem lies elsewhere.
CaJazzman

Post by CaJazzman »

About a year or so, ago, I had some problems, when, I would start up my pc, which I thought it was my browser, which for many years has been Firefox. But, what I found to be the culprit, was my internal hard drives. Once, I replaced my internal, except for the main hard drive, to external, I've never had any issues like I had before. So, saying that Firefox, is causing the BSOD, is so absurd, but, researching and figuring out what the cause of any issue, can be time consuming. But, having Firefox, all these years, I know, that Firefox is the best if, not one of the best browsers. 8-)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

my last crashes were due blown caps for the graphics pipe - nvida driver to name. at first i also thought about temps = dust, but there were only few and after cleaning same crap. a closer view revealed the culprit. the dump file will tell us more.
therube

Post by therube »

about:crashes, the last few crash report URLs?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Does the Windows event log how more detail about what module caused the BSOD?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

in most cases pointless when bluescreens appear. but eg event 41 is power supply - that is possible to analyze, but less or no driver failure.
therube

Post by therube »

James wrote:An application like Firefox itself does not cause BSOD. No version of Firefox for Windows has ever been found to be the cause of BSOD that I have seen over the years.
"In some rare cases on some systems, it seems that Pale Moon x64 triggers a fault in the 64-bit Windows kernel. This leads to system restarts or blue screens and messages that a bugcheck or serious error occurred. The restarts are seemingly random whenever Pale Moon x64 is in use."
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=519
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

palemoon related here? i think not.
therube

Post by therube »

PM is not the point.
Point is a browser (a word processor, a video player, ...) has the potential to crash (Windows, Linux, Mac), even if it is unexpected, uncommon to happen. So, yes, unlikely that it may be that FF can cause a BSOD, you can't rule out the possibility.
Last edited by DanRaisch on January 5th, 2018, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Dead end link removed.