Bookmarks: unable to 'Sort By Name'

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
saint1

Bookmarks: unable to 'Sort By Name'

Post by saint1 »

Hi all...

Just updated to Quantum 57.0.4

I saved a few new bookmarks but when I tried to 'Sort By Name' as I've done many times....nothing happens.

These latest bookmarks still show as they always did first at the bottom of the left pane.

Normally I'd then highlight (Ctrl +A) the right pane > Sort By Name....and all would be well.

But now as I said, this time nothing happens.

I must be missing something simple..

Would appreciate some info or suggestion

Many thanks
LIMPET235

Re: Bookmarks: unable to 'Sort By Name'

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to Firefox Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I don't use the 'installed version' but I do have the portable version in here... I just saved a few bookmarks to test this out... and when I hit the Sort by name it does not sort them... so, just saying that I also see your problem.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Try the solutions mentioned in this thread: Sort Bookmarks By Name
saint1

Post by saint1 »

Hi...thanks to all for taking time to reply.
Tried suggestions above...no joy. Only works with bookmarks already stored before the latest update.
New bookmarks are not being sorted as 'dfoulkes' also mentions above...
So, perhaps an update bug?
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Saint,

I have Firefox 57.0.4 (64-bit EME-Free) installed and if I try what you are trying to do, add a new bookmark, then the "sort by name" works fine. I'm assuming you are trying to do this in "show all bookmarks" - which I've just tested myself and it seems fine to me.

If you are saying this only happens to new bookmarks stored after you installed 57.0.4 then to me, given that my own 57.0.4 is working fine, that sounds like some kind of corruption in your bookmarks file - but I don't have the expertise to say what that might be. I'm not having the same problem with 57.0.4.

I also have Firefox 57.0.4 Portable "installed". Have tested this issue in that and it too works fine.

If it was me and I had the problem I would try the following as a test just to rule out some kind of corruption in bookmarks:

(1) Open my Profile folder. Then close down FF.
(2) Move the files favicons.sqlite and places.sqlite out of the Profile folder. Which will force FF to rebuild them anew when it is next launched.
(3) Launch FF and then for test purposes visit some websites and add new bookmarks to those sites.
(4) Now try "sort by name" with the new bookmarks. If it works okay then that would suggest some problem with the original bookmarks places.sqlite file. If it still won't work then the problem isn't likely to be the original places.sqlite file.
(5) (In any case, test over.) Close down FF and move the original places.sqlite and favicons.sqlite back into the Profile folder, overwriting the files just created during the test.

I would try that and see what happens.