opening of many links/bookmarks at once FF 57

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Hermann-

opening of many links/bookmarks at once FF 57

Post by Hermann- »

Hi,
In FF 55 it was possible to open 50+ links in a browser window in different tabs, all at once (e.g. from a RSS-Reader). In FF57 I get an error message (below the screen shot) and not all links are opened in tabs. When I open around 40 links, then this error message doesn't come up.
Is this a new limitation of FF 57?
I've found this FAQ article about the below error message, but my case doesn't seem to be covered there
Any idea what can be done about it? I use this method to archive articles. Opening 40 tabs at once is already alot and it works ok for me, but I used to be able to open more.
Thanks
FF 57.01 on Linux Mint 17.0 - 8Core CPU, 24GB RAM

Firefox is already running, but is not responding ....
Brummelchen

Re: opening of many links/bookmarks at once FF 57

Post by Brummelchen »

is your firefox link bundled with a command line? or do you try to start firefox again meanwhile?
under windows i get this message when i try to start firefox (portable with parameter for profile) again after shutdown and there is still an instance running.
no problem opening 67 tabs from bookmarks here.

or do you use an extension for opening so many links? there exist some. then it may be buggy.
what about safe-mode?
therube

Post by therube »

If you wait, do all the tabs eventually load?
(Is there an extension, or otherwise, to prevent bookmarks from loading until they are brought to focus?)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Hermann-

Post by Hermann- »

@Brummelchen, the links are from inside an RSS-application. I highlight 50 entries, right click and press "open in external browser". I don't use a FF extension to open the links.
I've made some tests with FF-safe-mode and sometimes I've seen the pop-up with 30 links, but sometimes I don't have the pop-up with 70 links. I also have a Chromium browser window open with 13 open tabs and a few other applications. Maybe one of these is interfering. I'll try to close all open applications next time.

@therube the tabs are all loading. I've tried this in FF safe mode.

I've also a fast SSD, so that shouldn't be the bottleneck either.

Thanks for your help!
therube

Post by therube »

See if setting the Pref, browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground, to 'true' makes any difference?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Hermann-

Post by Hermann- »

I've tried it once and it worked. No more "Firefox is not responding" message.
I hope it will stay that way, otherwise I'll report it here. Many thanks again, Brummelchen
:D
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Make sure that you haven't started Firefox with the -no-remote command line switch.
https://developer.mozilla.org/Command_Line_Options
Hermann-

Post by Hermann- »

the "no-remote" option is currently included in the loader.sh script, but I'll keep it in mind in the case the problem comes back. thanks.