Lightning add-on needed in Windows / not-needed in Linux

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
chriselvidge

Lightning add-on needed in Windows / not-needed in Linux

Post by chriselvidge »

I dual-boot Windows 10 and Linux (Antix17/Mate1.18). Thunderbird 52.5 64 bit on both using the same data files. Thunderbird Windows has Lightning add-on for Calendar. When I switch to Linux I have to removed the add-on and restart Thunderbird to get the calendar pane. Back to Windows and I have to replace the add-on (and restart Thunderbird). Is this normal? Cheers.
mgagnonlv

Re: Lightning add-on needed in Windows / not-needed in Linux

Post by mgagnonlv »

No, but I don't quite remember how to correct the issue. Starting with Thunderbird 38, Lightning is integrated; however, it is not activated if you already had a profile with Lightning or if you had disabled it at the start.

If I remember correctly how to solve the problem, I think you need to do the following:

1. Please save your profile beforehand; that way, if you lose the Calendar function, you can go back to the previous profile. Alternatively, export all local calendars as ".ics" files (Google and other network calendars are saved elsewhere, so they will be reloaded).

2. In Thunderbird (Windows), remove the Lightning extension.

3. Move your profile folder elsewhere. Move away the content found in both "user\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\profiles\xxx.default" (save that one) and "user\AppData\Local\Thunderbird\profiles\xxx.default" (discard it).

4. I think you can restart Thunderbird; it will create a new blank profile. A few seconds after the start, Thunderbird will ask you (not sure in what order) if you want to send data, activate health report... and activate Lightning. Make sure you say YES to the "Lightning" question.
If everything works fine, you should have the following "extension" installed in Thunderbird:
Lightning" an integrated agenda for Thunderbird" (key word is "integrated").

4a. If that doesn't work, you'll have to uninstall Thunderbird and reinstall the program.

5. Open Thunderbird to check the program. Don't bother configuring emails.

6. Once that is done, quit Thunderbird.

7. Open the Profile folder (the one in "user\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\profiles\xxx.default".
Discard everything in that folder and replace the content with the original profile you had copied or moved in step 3.

Good luck.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
chriselvidge

Post by chriselvidge »

Thanks Michael - I'll investigate. It might be easier to live with it, though. Cheers. Chris
chriselvidge

Post by chriselvidge »

Sorry Michel!