Saved Passwords

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Olivervk

Saved Passwords

Post by Olivervk »

Hallo,

I am running into an Issue here while deploying a cfg file i can't find the right config option to fully disable all password imports from other browsers, i think it es very unsecure to be able to import passwords from a diffrent browser and show them in clear text after that. I don't want to forece a Master Password as this would require everybody using Firefox to set one. can anybody think of a solution to this problem ? or maybe knows the correct config value to edit?

regards Oliver
TrueFalcon

Re: Saved Passwords

Post by TrueFalcon »

I rebelled against browser password management about a decade ago; my Fx is set to Not remember passwords. With browser developers, there are many priorities and passwords are not always top of the list.

I've been quite happily using KeePass to keep my passwords safe, unique, and complex. (my default is for length 32) It can also auto type them. I'm the only user here, but you can set up a database for as many users as you want. When you close the database, they are encrypted.

As well it's fully offline, which I feel is safer. I do, of course, keep multiple backups of the database on multiple media! :) 8-)
therube

Post by therube »

No idea if this is right, but...

EnableProfileMigrator=0

?

Or maybe there is some importSignons like setting?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Olivervk

Post by Olivervk »

@TrueFaclon
Same here, i use keepass which is fine but, my Problem at Hand

I can't find a way to forbidd via the Mozilla.cfg file to Import any Passwords i already have

lockPref("signon.rememberSignons", false);
lockPref("signon.prefillForms", false);

in the cfg file but sadly it is still possible to Import all Passwords from other Browsers which i think is a huge security risk within itself.

it liturally takes me about 5-8 seconds to get all the Passwords and make a quick photo with my cellphone or so... ](*,)

@therube

i think with EnableProfileMigrator=0 you talk about a about:config entry is it a boolean or int?

all the Import Signon Setting had no effect on the Password improt what so every
therube

Post by therube »

(I'm getting beyond myself, but) it seems it would go into override.ini.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Olivervk wrote:sadly it is still possible to Import all Passwords from other Browsers which i think is a huge security risk within itself.

it liturally takes me about 5-8 seconds to get all the Passwords and make a quick photo with my cellphone or so... ](*,)
That would require 1) physical access to the machine and 2) knowledge of the user account name/password for starters. Then 3) it assumes that the passwords are not locked on the other browser(s).

Not much of a security risk unless your machine is stolen and you are dumb enough to not secure your sensitive information.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Olivervk

Post by Olivervk »

@RobertJ so there is no way of fully disabeling the Password save?
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Olivervk wrote:@RobertJ so there is no way of fully disabeling the Password save?
It wouldn't make a difference since the user of the machine can always re-enable it.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6