Linux - no place to paste path when Browse for files [solved

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Nettkrawler

Linux - no place to paste path when Browse for files [solved

Post by Nettkrawler »

Hi.

Just to start - I don't know if this is a distro/desktop issue or a Firefox issue, anyway hope somebody have an idea of what I can do.

I have this question - I currently use Linux Lite x64. When I'm about to upload some file to some web forum, I cannot find any text field to enter the whole file path
Is there a way to get a way to bypass the "browse for files" dialog box and enter file path directly to upload files?

Thanks

Nb:
In most Linux distros (as opposed to windows) after copying a file from within a file browser - the file path can be pasted in any text editor or text input field directly.
Last edited by Nettkrawler on January 11th, 2018, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grumpus

Re: Linux - no place to paste path when Browse for files

Post by Grumpus »

Maybe through the system's Upload Manager - see if it's in the repos if it's not under Administration.
Always found the browse for file function seems to work best unless attaching to an email.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Nettkrawler

Post by Nettkrawler »

Just had to check to see if this is general for all programs in this distro or just Firefox that is affected.
So i opened Leafpad (default text editor that ships with LL) - and in lower left section under "Places", I find "File system" and when select that one, an input field labeled "Location" appears just above fhe file/folder list.

In Firefox, the file browse dialog box appears different from other programs, and offer (button by name) "Other location" where other programs have located "Places" - but there doesn't appear any text input fielt that allows the user to paste (or manually enter) full path of a file.

I haven't tried that on other distros (if doubt that it is really a FF issue I have another computer where I have Ubuntu Mate installed) so far, but it appears to me so far that it is indeed a Firefox Issue.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Nettkrawler wrote:Is there a way to get a way to bypass the "browse for files" dialog box and enter file path directly to upload files?
Drag the file into a New Tab. The full path is then shown in the addressbar.

Nettkrawler wrote: but it appears to me so far that it is indeed a Firefox Issue.
You not knowing how to do something does not make it a Firefox 'issue'.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Nettkrawler

Post by Nettkrawler »

Frank Lion wrote:
Nettkrawler wrote:Is there a way to get a way to bypass the "browse for files" dialog box and enter file path directly to upload files?
Drag the file into a New Tab. The full path is then shown in the addressbar.
That will solve the opposite problem. I already have the path (stored at OS clipboard).
Frank Lion wrote:
Nettkrawler wrote:but it appears to me so far that it is indeed a Firefox Issue.
You not knowing how to do something does not make it a Firefox 'issue'.
Indeed, that is why I post it here - already admitted in first post I don't know.
Have you got an actual suggestion or idea about the original problem?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Nettkrawler wrote:Have you got an actual suggestion or idea about the original problem?
Well, I've only been uploading actual files for 15 actual years now, so it sounds to me like you need someone with far more experience to solve your 'original' problem.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@Netcrawler - It could have something to do with the file picker also.
In about:config - ui.allow_platform_file_picker - boolean (T or F) may effect some of the capabilities.
There also seems to be a site by site variation as to whether a text input (drag and drop or type in) will be supported.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Nettkrawler

Post by Nettkrawler »

Thanks a lot.

I changed ui.allow_platform_file_picker from T fo F - and I like this little file picker, and it works to just paste the full file path - I just tested.

Hate file pickers that don't allow users to enter text of full file path.
Grumpus

Re: Linux - no place to paste path when Browse for files [so

Post by Grumpus »

Glad that solved the issue but you still might want to look at the Upload Manager just for s***s and giggles.