simple search possible?

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
fbu924

simple search possible?

Post by fbu924 »

Hello: simple keyword searches appear impossible on the 'zine board. For example today I type in "toolbar button extension" and I get the usual answer - "too simple words." I've been using this site since it opened, and this behavior has been there -- forever. I inevitably have to post, rather than find someone else's same previous post, because the "too simple words" is always the answer. Is there a workaround? Thank you.
Paul L
smsmith

Re: simple search possible?

Post by smsmith »

The problem is that the combination you are trying to use is giving you too many results. If you had to wade through a million results, you'd give up in a hurry.

If I use the "Advanced" search, I get the "too common words" error.

If I just put that query into the search at the right side of this page, I get 17,500 results, but then I cannot tell the search to ignore Thunderbird posts or SeaMonkey posts, for example.

At any rate, forum upgrades to "fix" this probably aren't going to happen anytime soon, if ever.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
fbu924

Post by fbu924 »

Thanks for reply, Ms./Mr. Smith. However, I find your conclusion, however realistic, not adequate. I submit a suggestion, seemingly simple, to implement: "simply" change the term as you have yourself stated, to: "too many "RESULTS" (my caps to illustrate here, do not implement caps, if anyone in the moz world is actually going to listen/act on it).
Thank you.
Paul L
James

Post by James »

This phpBB3 forum is independent as it is not a part of nor run by Mozilla as you can also see on bottom of right sidebar. So Mozilla would not be implementing anything here. Mozilla has their own forum at support.mozilla.org
fbu924

Post by fbu924 »

Thank you!
Paul L
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

fbu924 wrote:Hello: simple keyword searches appear impossible on the 'zine board. For example today I type in "toolbar button extension" and I get the usual answer - "too simple words."
Maybe in some alternate reality you might get that. Meantime, the rest of us get 'too common words', which is subtly, but importantly, different in meaning.

Rather than making suggestions about how to dance on the head of a pin, just do a normal Goggle search, using the same terms suffixed by the words mozillazine and firefox.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)