permissions for camera, microphone?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
brynn

permissions for camera, microphone?

Post by brynn »

Hi Friends,
I'm part of a team which is considering to hold it's meetings here, rather than IRC. https://meet.jit.si/inkscapevectors (Personally I think it's a waste of time to switch, and not worth the couple of hours I've already spent trying to make the site work. But I have to cover all the bases.)

When I browse there, I see the attached screenshot. Hhhm, no attachments?? Please try this: https://inkscapecommunity.com/jd/ss/js1.png

However, nothing else ever happens. SM doesn't prompt for permissions. There are no links on that page.

Can anyone tell me where to find such permissions? As I mentioned, I've already been looking for these things for a couple of hours. And the stupid part is, that I don't intend to use camera or microphone, and will only view text, like in chat/IRC. But this seems to be where SM is stuck. So maybe if I can find those options and set them, it will work?

Other members' browsers opened the site without any prompts (I heard from Chrome and Opera users, but there would have been other browsers in use too). So far, it's only SM which doesn't work.

When I tried with Firefox, there's an icon in the address bar, just to the left of the favicon, a camera icon, which drops down with the permission options. SM does not have such an icon. But the options must be somewhere??

Oh ok, I found View > Page Info > Permissions tab. But it's not offering any permissions for camera or microphone. With Firefox, I just click not to use them, and then the jitsi interface opens. But Page Info > Permissions doesn't have the ones I need.

Does anyone know where these are in SM?

therube

Re: permissions for camera, microphone?

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

therube wrote:This, WebRTC Permissions UI Toggle ?
Yep, this kind of thing is exactly what I made the extension for. SeaMonkey has WebRTC support in it, but no permissions dialog yet (bug 956854).
brynn

Post by brynn »

Aah ok. Well I would have no way of knowing that the permission dialog is called WebRTC.

Ok, I've downloaded it, but not restarted to put it into effect, yet.

Do I understand correctly that I need to enable it only long enough to click the permissions? So that I will continue using the permissions (well, in this case, not using) the camera and microphone, for some time after I give the permissions.

There seems to be something wrong with a system (not blaming SM, just the concept) where I have to tell the browser that I don't want to use the camera or microphone, to be able to use the site where I don't want to use the camera or microphone. Right? Shouldn't the site just function for me, without camera or microphone, rather the block me until I spell it out for them??

Or is that a problem with the site?

Thanks for your help - much appreciated!
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

brynn wrote:Do I understand correctly that I need to enable it only long enough to click the permissions? So that I will continue using the permissions (well, in this case, not using) the camera and microphone, for some time after I give the permissions.
Yep, that's correcct.
There seems to be something wrong with a system (not blaming SM, just the concept) where I have to tell the browser that I don't want to use the camera or microphone, to be able to use the site where I don't want to use the camera or microphone. Right? Shouldn't the site just function for me, without camera or microphone, rather the block me until I spell it out for them??
This is probably due to bug 1419507 which will be fixed in 2.49.2.

Currently, a site might see that SeaMonkey supports WebRTC and try to get permission for the camera or microphone, and it will just hang there forever. Once that bug is fixed, the site will be able to detect that WebRTC is turned off (unless you use that extension to enable it, of course.)
brynn

Post by brynn »

Sorry for the delay.

Thanks for the info and thanks for your help!