Colors and fonts are not the same?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
ietpt.net

Colors and fonts are not the same?

Post by ietpt.net »

I was wondering why colors and fonts are not the same in SeaMonkey ? ](*,)

Thank You for your input, Merci!
vladmir

Re: Colors and fonts are not the same?

Post by vladmir »

Let's take blue background color.

Look at HTML:
<div class="container blue">

Look at CSS:
http://www.centretypo.com/ct_styles.css
.blue {
background: rgb(0, 83, 159);
}

And finaly point any color picker at that background.
In SeaMonkey the color is rgb 0, 83, 159.
That's all I know.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ietpt.net wrote:I was wondering why colors and fonts are not the same in SeaMonkey ? ](*,)
Best you ask the Chrome and Safari people, because they are the ones not displaying the colours correctly. That's not opinion, it's stated in the .css code for that site -

Code: Select all

/*MODIFIERS*/

/*Background colours*/

.green {
    background: rgb(100, 182, 70);
}

.grey {
    background: rgb(220, 220, 220);
}

.blue {
    background: rgb(0, 83, 159);
}
..and a color picker confirms that only SeaMonkey is showing the blue there as rgb(0, 83, 159). The same is true with the green.

Just like in real life, 2 people can be wrong and the lone voice is correct.

In addition, in common with around 90% of websites, the site coding is different for some things depending on what browser is being used to view it, i.e. -

Code: Select all

/*MAIN IMAGE*/

.container_main {
    display: -webkit-box;
    display: -ms-flexbox;
    display: -webkit-flex;
    display: -moz-flex;
    display: -o-flex;
    display: flex;
    align-items: center;
    -webkit-align-items: center;
    width: 100%;
    height: 700px;
    background-image: url(images/main_image_dark.jpg);
    background-size: cover;
    background-position: right center;
    /*background-attachment: fixed;*/
}
- 6 different display commands used for 6 different types of browser. The commands are supposed to be identical in result, but are often not.

Websites are also often just flat out badly coded and the the browsers have to guess what is intended (quirks mode) ...websites are also often being being revised or re-written and changing. It's a long and fascinating subject... for anyone with insomnia.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

It makes sense that Chrome and Safari would agree, since Chrome's engine, Blink, is forked from Safari's engine, Webkit(which is itself forked from KHTML). They are quite closely related.
The Gecko engine used in Seamonkey is from a completely unrelated codebase, so it would be expected to have different rendering behaviors in some circumstances.

Although in this case Seamonkey appears to be the only one following a quite unambiguous directive in terms of color selection. I'm curious as to how Chrome and Safari are getting that wrong, since it is a rather basic directive and they are indisputably using the wrong colors.

The font disparity is interesting, as I'm not seeing it on my end.
There are options you can change that affect what fonts the browser uses. So my first shot in the dark: In the edit menu, click preferences, go to appearance, select fonts, and make sure "allow documents to use other fonts" is checked.
ietpt.net

Post by ietpt.net »

Thanks to all!

As vladmir and Frank said, the color on SeaMonkey are the right one.

=O)
ietpt.net

Post by ietpt.net »

LordOfTheBored wrote:The font disparity is interesting, as I'm not seeing it on my end.
There are options you can change that affect what fonts the browser uses. So my first shot in the dark: In the edit menu, click preferences, go to appearance, select fonts, and make sure "allow documents to use other fonts" is checked.
Hi! the "allow documents to use other fonts" is checked
=O)

I saw somewhere that it maybe a Apple font rendering problem... still search into it.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ietpt.net wrote:Hi! the "allow documents to use other fonts" is checked
=O)
Even so, I reckon the Bored One is on the right track. Just at a glance, I can see that font has fallen back to default/user defined font conditions by the way it is using bold there, when the site .css is defining normal font-weight there.

I notice that you are on a Mac and I reckon it's a site css fault, ie, they are only using -webkit-font-smoothing on their font defines, whereas they need to be also using -moz-osx-font-smoothing there.

That would explain why non-Mac users, like us, are not seeing a text disparity there.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

[quote="Frank Lion"]I notice that you are on a Mac and I reckon it's a site css fault, ie, they are only using -webkit-font-smoothing on their font defines, whereas they need to be also using -moz-osx-font-smoothing there.
That is exactly what is going on in the CSS. "-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;" and no -moz-osx equivalent.

I have no idea why improper antialiasing commands would make fonts disappear, but whatever. I am SO glad I'm not a web developer.