Site ban

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
Russell C

Site ban

Post by Russell C »

Today a friend asked me a question about Firefox that I could not answer. So I sent him a link to this site, he had never heard of it.
When he tried to access the site he got told his IP was banned until October 2018. Is there any way to contest this ban, get an explanation, and hopefully getting the ban lifted?
After recommending Mozillazine to him I was a little embarrassed when he had this experience.
Russell
DanRaisch

Re: Site ban

Post by DanRaisch »

It's quite likely that your friend ran into George our resident gremlin. George appears from time to time and tells people they are banned, or that their IP is banned, etc. Suggest that your friend reboot, flush the DNS caches on their system, and try visiting here again.

See this article for info on flushing that DNS cache under Windows 10 -- https://www.technipages.com/flush-and-r ... g-ipconfig
There are similar sites with information on flushing the DNS cache for other operating systems.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

This is just an occasional glitch with the website. I got the same ban yesterday and I wasn't using a VPN connection just the address supplied by my ISP. When the ban page shows up there are clear instructions on how to (potentially) by-pass it. The instructions will be something like:
You have been banned from this board until May 30th, 2018, 10:00 pm.

If you believe this is an error, please try closing your browser and clearing your cache.

If you still have an issue, and believe it's an error, put the word "anything" in the Search Boards text box and click on GO. Click on any result and then click on Board Index. The problem should go away.

A ban has been issued on your IP address.
(The "Search Boards" box is on one of the blue coloured panels at the right-hand side of the mozillaZine forum webpage - you can still see it when you get this ban message.) So you really need to suggest to your friend that he reads the message on the ban page carefully and follows the instructions there.

All the above said, sometimes I use a VPN with a Russian server address. If I remain using the VPN and step through the instructions I still don't get into the forum. So obviously my Russian VPN is a suspect as far as mozillaZine is concerned - fair enough. So if your friend is using a VPN the issue might lie there. This topic was also discussed in this thread a little while ago: You Have Been Banned Forum Message

This forum is really good it would a pity if your friend passed on it just because of an occasional glitch that is easy to get round.
Russell C

Post by Russell C »

Hi BuddhaNature,
Thank you very much for that, I feel the same way about this forum.
I cut and pasted your post and emailed my friend.

Mozillazine rocks. :D
Russell
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

I hope you also forwarded the link DanRaisch provided on how to clear the DNS cache: https://www.technipages.com/flush-and-r ... g-ipconfig

Step-by-Step, follow the instructions. :)
Russell C

Post by Russell C »

Again, many many thanks, I have forwarded your latest.
Cheers
Russell :D
Russell
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

This is more of a site discussion problem than a Firefox problem. So I am moving it to Site Discussion.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.