Request for feature

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
rockh1

Request for feature

Post by rockh1 »

I've used Firefox since v1.0, so I obviously like it. As I have aged, it has become increasingly difficult for me to read the text in the interface. I was using TFaSC until it was banished. I did find some workarounds, but they don't address all features of the interface.

What I would like to see is a set of simple buttons on a toolbar that increase or decrease the size of ALL text elements in the UI. Yes, I can increase the size by ctrl+mousewheel, but that means I have to scroll across the page. I would even settle for a script, although that isn't the ideal.

Thanks for letting me vent :(
DanRaisch

Re: Request for feature

Post by DanRaisch »

Just so we're clear here, we're not Mozilla. As noted in the disclaimer in the right hand column of this page, this forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user-helping-user community.

That said, have you looked into any of the extensions that address Zoom functionality -- https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ows&q=zoom
rockh1

Post by rockh1 »

OOPS! My bad, didn't read the disclaimer. But most, if not all, of the extensions shown are for webpages, not the Firefox UI itself. I'll go to the proper support site.

Thanks!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You misunderstand. Extensions are not for web pages. Those "Web Extensions" are the new standard for Firefox, replacing the older XUL extensions.
therube

Post by therube »

TFaSC
?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
James

Post by James »

rockh1 wrote:II was using TFaSC until it was banished. I did find some workarounds, but they don't address all features of the interface.
The "Theme Font & Size Changer" extension was not banned or such. The extension author had a automatic expiration (datebomb) to stop working, which was on January 5.

http://www.rossde.com/ThemeFontSizeChan ... index.html
therube wrote:
TFaSC
?
"Theme Font & Size Changer"
therube

Post by therube »

That won't work in FF because of signing.
(It does work in SeaMonkey / Thunderbird.)

Older versions of the extension, Version 46.5 in particular, are not date-bombed & so will work in older versions of FF, like FF 52 ESR, but not in FF 57 - because that older version is not a webextension.

Mozilla has you by the balls, I'd say. (Can I say that? Anyhow, I did.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

error
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
allande

Post by allande »

If you want to enlarge the UI without an extension, you could try changing the layout.css.devPixelsPerPx setting as described here. https://fedoramagazine.org/how-to-get-f ... nd-fedora/ -1 is the default. 1 means normal zoom. You may find anything from 1.1 to 2.5 to be to your liking, but if you accidentally type a number like .05 or 10 or 100 everything will instantly become a size you can't click on anything or do anything. So be careful what you type.
ejm_dc

Post by ejm_dc »

You might also consider editing some of the UI elements using userChrome.css. A good place to start is with CustomCSSforFx (https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx). I've been able to adjust a number of UI elements to my liking by starting with CustomCSSforFx and then adding my own elements with my_userChrome.css (bottom of the CustomCSSforFx supplied userChrome.css file).