uBlock Origin filtersets do not update

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Gopher John

uBlock Origin filtersets do not update

Post by Gopher John »

I am currently running Firefox 57.0.4 on Windows 7 SP1 with uBlock Origin v1.14.22 extension on 3 machines with several Firefox profiles. On most profiles, uBlock Origin does not update the various enabled filtersets either automatically or manually. When done manually, it does appear to update them(the orange triangles with an exclamation point disappears and the clock shows updated 0 minutes ago when hovered over) but closing and restarting the browser causes them to return. As an example the EasyList filter when clicked on and the Asset tab comes up shows a date of Last modified: 08 Nov 2017 11:33 UTC. OTOH, in the couple of profiles that do update the date does change and today shows 10 Nov 2018.

Uninstalling the extension and closing Firefox, restarting Windows and then restarting Firefox and installing the extension does nothing to change the situation. What can be done to correct this?
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein
Ortho_Fan

Re: uBlock Origin filtersets do not update

Post by Ortho_Fan »

I had a similar issue, a month ago, with one of the filters not updating. (It would displayed as updated, but after restarting Firefox, it would be marked out of date.)

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Ublock Origin, as you did, and it didn't work.

Then, on a hunch, I uninstalled Ublock, restarted Firefox, clicked on the Help menu, clicked on Troubleshooting Information, then opened the Profile folder.

In the Windows Seven search box, in the upper right hand corner, I typed in Ublock. Two or three files were identified. I deleted all of them, then I reinstalled Ublock Origin, and it worked and updated fine.

Hope this helps,

Ortho_Fan
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

Thanks for the reply. I did as you said. The ublock search found 3 files/folder which I deleted. I closed and restarted Firefox, reinstalled Ublock Origin and updated the filtersets. Sadly, nothing changed and on closing Firefox and restarting the filtersets were again marked as out of date.

When this worked for you, was it before or after Firefox 57.x.x when the new type extensions became a requirement?
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

Hi John:

Sorry to hear it didn't work. I was on FF 57.0 because I remember it updated to that right before I started having problems with Ublock Origin.

I normally manually update the filter lists about every two or three days, now. The only one that still gives me problems is "Malware Domain List." (That was the one that wouldn't update before.) Now, it sporadically refuses to update, and spits out a "Network Error" message. Then, after two or three tries, it updates.

By the way, when you update, do you click on the Purge All Caches button before running the update? If not, try that.

OF
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

Malware Domain List is very stubborn about updating. I've seen the same thing.

Before this problem, Ublock Origin was honoring the "Expires: 4 days (update frequency)" or such in the various filtersets. If I was manually attempting filterset updates, I would Purge All Caches.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Tried the update and noticed the Malware Domain List gave the warning about a Network error preventing the update.
Looked at the list to see if there was something which might have affected the update but not being fully versed closed the list tab
Tried the update again and the error did not appear. Error appears to be indicated by a red broken link symbol.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Same here, the Malware Domain List won't update manually in Firefox 57.0.4, I get the same "network error" message .

Stuck at Mon, 04 Dec 17 19:18:42 +0000 for Malware Domain List subscription. And per the source for that "List" it looks like it hasn't been updated since then. http://www.malwaredomainlist.com/hostslist/hosts.txt
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

The problem I originally posted affects all subscribed filtersets, not only Malware Domain List. I have a couple of Firefox profiles that are not affected and update properly.
therube

Post by therube »

Ortho wrote:In the Windows Seven search box, in the upper right hand corner, I typed in Ublock. Two or three files were identified. I deleted all of them, then I reinstalled Ublock Origin, and it worked and updated fine.
That may not (necessarily) be sufficient, as in where uBlock stores its db files may not (necessarily) be named "ublock" (in FF 57 in particular).
(Actually, hovering a filter link, or opening it in a tab, may give you a clue.)
(NoScript stores its settings in some rather obscurely named file [name escapes me], & one that is not specific to NoScript - other extensions can store settings in there too.)
Gopher wrote:The problem I originally posted affects all subscribed filtersets, not only Malware Domain List.
Maybe a permissions issue?
Confirm where uBlock is storing its settings & check that avenue.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

The only one of the lists which I've got checked during the update process which appears to have an issue is the Malware Domain List.
In review of the lists there are a number which add individual edits making it harder to determine the actual date/time.
The update process, whether it is changing the individual lists or not, appears to function with the clock symbols throbbing until complete somehow.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

Grumpus wrote:The only one of the lists which I've got checked during the update process which appears to have an issue is the Malware Domain List.
In review of the lists there are a number which add individual edits making it harder to determine the actual date/time.
The update process, whether it is changing the individual lists or not, appears to function with the clock symbols throbbing until complete somehow.
I've read a few post on other forums--which, of course, I can't locate now--in which some of the posters said that "Malware Domain List" essentially does the same thing as "Malware Domains," so I uncheck it for now. Updating it has actually been a chronic problem for me. The few times Ublock Origin auto-updated, that one wouldn't, and I had to manually update it.

As for Gopher John's problem, I'm wondering if creating a new FF profile mightn't help.

Ortho_Fan
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

Gopher John wrote:it does appear to update them(the orange triangles with an exclamation point disappears and the clock shows updated 0 minutes ago when hovered over) but closing and restarting the browser causes them to return.
This is a symptom of uBO not able to use its indexedDB storage.

Did you uncheck "Accept cookies from websites"?

Did you check "Always use private browsing mode"?
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

gorhill wrote:
Gopher John wrote:it does appear to update them(the orange triangles with an exclamation point disappears and the clock shows updated 0 minutes ago when hovered over) but closing and restarting the browser causes them to return.
This is a symptom of uBO not able to use its indexedDB storage.

Did you uncheck "Accept cookies from websites"?

Did you check "Always use private browsing mode"?
"Always use private browsing mode" is unchecked in all profiles.

"Accept cookies from websites" is also unchecked. I do accept cookies from some sites. Some of the cookies are until expire while other are 'session' cookies. This is true in all profiles, even the couple that Ublock Origin updates filtersets properly. I used to use the Cookie Monster extension before Firefox 57, and haven't found a proper replacement yet so am doing it's job manually now.

In each profile, what is the name and where in the profile is uBO's indexedDB storage located? I will check the permissions of the file, although I was able to delete all uBO files after uninstalling the extension.
therube

Post by therube »

That may not (necessarily) be sufficient, as in where uBlock stores its db files may not (necessarily) be named "ublock" (in FF 57 in particular).
On my end:

Code: Select all

{Profile_folder}\storage\default\moz-extension+++b3979791-171e-43af-a1fe-c0498305654e\idb\1671402671ueBglaorcokt0SCeahc.sqlite
How do you like those crackers.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

Gopher John wrote:"Accept cookies from websites" is also unchecked. I do accept cookies from some sites.
You can create an exception for uBO as well: see http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3034189.
therube wrote:On my end:

Code: Select all

{Profile_folder}\storage\default\moz-extension+++b3979791-171e-43af-a1fe-c0498305654e\idb\1671402671ueBglaorcokt0SCeahc.sqlite
The "b3...4e" id is probably unique to your installation.

The "ueBglaorcokt0SCeahc" part is just an anagram of "uBlock0CacheStorage", which is the database name I use internally. I don't know the purpose of turning the database name into an anagram.