Settings to download gmail to T'bird on new net

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
quickquestion

Settings to download gmail to T'bird on new net

Post by quickquestion »

This is probably more of a gmail settings questions, and I did post in the Google help forum. I'm not sure how responsive/helpful that forum is, and I've always had very good luck resolving issues when posting here, so if you can help, much appreciated.

Gmail won't let me download my email to my desktop Thunderbird client when I'm not home, i.e., on an unfamiliar network. (I can access my email if I login to gmail via a web browser, but I don't want to do that all the time.)

Can you help me figure out what settings I need to have to accomplish what I want?
DanRaisch

Re: Settings to download gmail to T'bird on new net

Post by DanRaisch »

Gmail won't let me download my email to my desktop Thunderbird client when I'm not home, i
What does that mean? What error message are you getting when trying to access the account when away from home?
quickquestion

Post by quickquestion »

Dan, I'm sorry to not have captured a screen shot. There are 2 messages, IIRC.

First, Thunderbird displays a popup saying the password wasn't accepted, and I can Retry, Re-enter, or Cancel. Then another little popup displays briefly saying to go to a web browser and log in to gmail there.

Then I get a "critical alert" email from gmail/google saying it blocked an attempt to login.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That's Gmail's security protocols identifying a potential attempt to get into your account by someone other than you. Try logging into that account using a browser and see if you have to clear a "Captcha" to access your mail. If so, you may be able to use Thunderbird after clearing it.
quickquestion

Post by quickquestion »

No, it's not someone other than me. I can tell by the time and date, that it is me, trying to download my gmail to the Thunderbird client on my laptop via a network other than the one at home. That's certain.

I've tried using google/gmail help and forums. I've got the security settings as suggested -- with two factor authentication off and to allow less secure apps. There must be one or more other settings, but I can't figure out what they are. My post on the google/gmail side hasn't gotten any replies. I'd hoped that someone here might be familiar enough with the kind of setup, as it's possible one or more of Thunderbird's settings also need to be adjusted.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I didn't say it was someone other than you. I said that Gmail's security protocol might be identifying it as someone other than you. Google can be a bit overzealous sometimes.