pop.gmail.com + TB can't log in

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
petergo

pop.gmail.com + TB can't log in

Post by petergo »

hi

running TB ver 52.5.2 and win 10 pro

Sending of password for user XXXXX007 did not succeed. Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Web login required: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78754

I have tried and researched " Web login required: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78754", and checked all settings for forwarding in Gmail.

I have had problem since late yesterday, and restarted TB countless times, and continue to get same error message.

If I use Gmail using FF, I have no problems

I have run MWAB and Avast and also Zemana, and nothing bad shows.

appreciate your help as always
cheers
peter
tanstaafl

Re: pop.gmail.com + TB can't log in

Post by tanstaafl »

Did you visit https://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha ?

If that doesn't help try deleting the saved password in Thunderbird using tools -> option -> security -> passwords , exiting (since the deleted pswd is still in memory) and restarting, entering the password (and checking the checkbox to save it) when prompted.
petergo

Post by petergo »

hi

followed your clear instructions, but alas, when I got to 'passwords' I could see an old password and the new one I generated yesterday, BUT, no where could I see how to delete either of them, sorry.

may I kindly ask for further help

I have not tried the 'unlockcaptcha' thingy yet, I'm a bit intimidated by it, and what it says on that page by google

thanks again, cheers
peter
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

tools -> option -> security -> passwords -> saved passwords

Search for gmail using the Search: field. Select the two entries (one should be for the POP account, the other for the SMTP server used by the POP account) and press the Remove button. If the site started with oauth: rather than mailbox: or smtp: that means its actually a OAuth2 token, rather than a password. Effectively the same thing though, just a different way of storing a password.
petergo

Post by petergo »

hi

thank you for your patience..............

I removed the entries for gmail account, but I also have an account using my ISP.s name, and it uses the smtp.gmail.com as the outgoing thing.
I did not remove that, should I?

When I open TB, I am still getting the same thing for the gmail account, to enter the password, then the error message.

For the ISP's account, it is sending and receiving no problems

not sure if relevant, but the email account is working in the FF browser

may I also ask where do I save the password in TB?

you may suggest I remove all passwords, but this frightens me, as I don't want to lose the ISP account

thanks, cheers
peter
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"I also have an account using my ISP.s name, and it uses the smtp.gmail.com as the outgoing thing. I did not remove that, should I?"
Nope. leave it alone as its a different account (different username/password)

"may I also ask where do I save the password in TB?"
There should be a checkbox to save the password using the password wizard in the window that prompts you for the password. You don't see that window if the password wizard enters the password for you.

"this frightens me, as I don't want to lose the ISP account"
If you're worried why not write down the passwords on a piece of paper? Or backup the entire profile.
petergo

Post by petergo »

hi again

when the password pop up window appears, I enter thepassword, and there is a checkbox if I want the password manager to remember it. Is this the same as "saving it".
If not, then I haven't found where to save the password.

Great idea, I will back up the profile, then be bold and go where no novice should and delete everything

but it still doesn't work in TB, so more drastic action, will try the captchya thingy too

thnx, cheers
peter
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Is this the same as "saving it".
Yes, it is.
petergo

Post by petergo »

thanks Dan

Tanstaffle, ok I made backups of TB, then I went through all the steps you suggested again, and I even did everything they suggest in the gmail.com site.
When I searched in google for the error message
""Sending of password for user XXXXXXX007 did not succeed. Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Web login required: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78754""
I did everything they suggested there also.

I did notice in the Gmail website the option to forwarding and pop/imap mail, I have selected under Item 1... Pop is enabled, but the three circle buttons below that are empty.When I select the circle'enable pop for all email that arrives from now on" and save changes, it does not save it, as when I go to settings next time I open FF, all three circles are clear again

truly appreciate further help please, as I love getting my gmail emails directly in TB

thanks
peter
Last edited by LIMPET235 on January 13th, 2018, 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited his UN.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Are you configured to use normal password or OAuth2 as the authentication method in the accounts server settings?

Is 2-Step Verification enabled? If it is you need to use a App password instead.

Are you using a free Gmail account or one provided by your ISP? If its a free one your email address would use the gmail.com domain. If its for a ISP it would use the ISPs domain (such as att.net).
petergo

Post by petergo »

am configured to use normal password

am using a free Gmail account

thanks
cheers
peter
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Try logging into https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps using a browser and select Allow to let less secure apps access your Google account . You need to do that to use a "normal password". Otherwise try setting the authentication method to OAuth2. That requires "cookies to be enabled for google.com. Cookies are normally enabled by default (Tools -> Privacy -> Accept cookies from web site is checked, and "Keep until" is set to "until they expire")."
petergo

Post by petergo »

you're the best m8!! ( presuming you are a bloke )

ok, TB works now, and no more annoying messages and having to repeat the password to get into the gmail account in TB

however, I'm a wee bit concerned about all the warnings that I am so much more less secure

Q!.. how did this change from the way it was for umpteen years until yesterday, and

Q2.. how can I go back to being more secure?

thanks again tanstaafl
cheers
peter
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Q1: Mysterious are tbe ways of Google and Gmail. I don't think any of us understands why Gmail sometimes throws this roadblock up for no apparent reason. In all fairness to gmail, their error message DID give you the solution: "web login required". I had a response pointing this out written yesterday but didn't post it because I saw you also posted "If I use Gmail using FF, I have no problems".

Q2: This "less secure" nonsense relates to Google's attempt to get you to use their OAuth2 protocol to log in instead of using a traditional username and password for authentication, as it stores a token in a cookie on your system and uses that instead. This supports logging in to third party sites like Facebook without having to send your password.

Here's what the Mozillazine Knowledge Base (link in right column over there >>>>) says about OAuth2 in its Gmail article (emphasis mine):
Using OAuth2 for "secure authentication" will popup a window for your password using your systems default browser. It requires cookies to be enabled for google.com. It creates a token that will be used as if it was a stored password, by the password wizard. You can use a normal password instead for "secure authentication". However, unless you log into https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps using a browser and select Allow to let less secure apps access your Google account Gmail may return an error when you try to login if you haven't had the Gmail account for at least 90 days. Using a password is just as secure as OAuth2, except for the possibility for somebody [on YOUR computer] to use Tools -> Options -> Security -> Passwords -> Saved Passwords to view your saved password. This is really just an attempt to increase use of OAuth2, which supports their business plan by supporting logging into third party web sites such as Facebook or Twitter without exposing the users password.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
petergo

Post by petergo »

thank you everyone!

cheers
peter