Thunderbird not importing profiles emails etc to my new PC

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
mozziboy

Thunderbird not importing profiles emails etc to my new PC

Post by mozziboy »

Windows 10, Defender and Malwarebytes.

Recently had a new PC and exported all the data etc I wanted to transfer from my old PC.

All the exported data Address books are in CSV format, it will show they are imported when retrieved. But nothing is seen.

I also exported each of my three profiles each of different email addresses and all the sub sections.

How I do get them back to the new PC. Do i put them back to the AppData files ?

thanks
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird not importing profiles emails etc to my new

Post by DanRaisch »

Or this one -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... hunderbird
For a concise, less detailed version of the process, see this thread --
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 5#p7251375

For an alternative approach, see tanstaafl's posts in this thread -- http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14209121
mozziboy

Post by mozziboy »

OK Thanks

Finally sorted my emails and folders.

Having 2 previous email accounts (virgin.net & g.mail) over some 10 years.
The previous gmail account is set import emails from the virgin.net account an and to forward emails to my current gmail account. All had various email addresses.

The problem I have now, having all the emails from my current gmail account some 4k of them, they are not in order by original dates. They are all as 'dates received' by Thunderbird, not as received by gmail although the 'dates received' box is not ticked.

Can they be sorted to the original date order not as Thunderbird received.

thanks
Windows 10 with Defender and Malwarebytes
Google Chrome
Thunderbirds
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
mozziboy

Post by mozziboy »

Sorry forgot to mention.

They are all POP.

Virgin.net is imported into my first gmail account no longer used. That same account exports to my current gmail account, should anyone send an email from my old email accounts no longer used.

With Thunderbird, it retrieves emails from my current gmail account or any other.

Also I have subfolders with emails saved into them with different categories. IE Ebay, Holidays and others alike.
Google Chrome
Thunderbirds
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, that's a bit confusing. How many accounts are actually set up in Thunderbird as unique email addresses? Not accounts that are first forwarded to Gmail or some other email provider but just directly downloaded from the provider to Thunderbird? Is it just one Gmail account?
mozziboy

Post by mozziboy »

thanks

Yes there is only one unique gmail email address setup in Thunderbird. My current gmail account.
Google Chrome
Thunderbirds
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

In which case I've never seen reports of Thunderbird making changes to the dates of messages as identified by the server when the messages are downloaded. Are you saying that if you look at the same message in Thunderbird and on the Gmail web mail page, the date shown in the message is different?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"They are all as 'dates received' by Thunderbird, not as received by gmail although the 'dates received' box is not ticked."

The folder listing list box that manages the columns has a entry for "date" and "order received" but none for "dates received". "View -> Sort By" lets you specify the sort order based on "date", "order received", "descending", "unthreaded" etc. Most of the menu selections in View -> Sort By have corresponding entries in the folder listing list box. I'm not aware of one for "dates received". Where is this tickbox? Please try to be explicit, even if it seems obvious to you.

What is View -> Sort By set to? It should have three settings selected . For example, I currently have it set to Date, Descending, Unthreaded.

Are you using some add-on that adds additional sorting, additional columns or changes the date's value? For example, IMAP Received Date or Received?

A screen shot of a TB folder listing and the corresponding webmail listing would help. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum