Highlight active tab with latest version please?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Frank Lion

Re: How to highlight active tab with latest version please?

Post by Frank Lion »

madmudmob wrote:Best laid plans etc .... thought I'd be a smarty pants.
No problem.

This is what is inside that zip, a pre-made chrome folder with these files, pre-made, inside it -

http://franklion.co.uk/Pic-of-chrome.zip.png

I'd much rather people learn about actual .css and how to use it properly, which is what this thread was all about - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p13219133

Ever since Firefox stopped including the chrome folder by default in the profile, I've seen people wasting hours and hours on this stuff for no good reason. People learn nothing about Stylish by installing it and nothing by manually creating these files and folder, simply because they are only ever done once.

As it was, around here there is thread after thread of new users struggling with this, for no good reason. Like Stylish, the chrome folder/userChrome.css are just tools to be used and the sooner they are correctly in place the actual css learning can begin - and so the chrome.zip was done/born - 4 lines of instructions and couple of clicks and it's done.

It really has been criminal the amount of time that has been wasted on this 'My User chrome.css.txt doesn't work!' stuff over the years.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

RobertJ wrote: BuddhaNature, that step by step guide is a bit much. If this person were on a Mac I could give him a simple five step process for getting this done. Knowing nothing about Win can't help him but surely cannot be as complicated as those instructions. :shock:
Obviously I would disagree. I wrote the guide in response to a request earlier in that thread (from someone who was trying to construct a userChrome.css file and failed) for a foolproof guide to getting it done. That is what I wrote and this was that user's reaction on stepping through the guide: Elcid's Reaction to Working Through the Guide.

Also in other threads on the forum people have commented very favourably on the guide. There was one very favourable comment that nevertheless said that spanning things into the second page of that thread was a mistake - couldn't I have just edited the guide itself to include the new information and that would be it all in one place. I thought of doing that, even wanted to, but didn't because that would have turned subsequent posts, and even earlier posts, in the entire thread into head-scratching wondering on what other posters were referring to; hence I left things as they were.

As to it being complicated we would need to agree to disagree. It is actually quite simple, everything there is in very simple steps, and, most importantly, it works. Which is really the kind of information that beginners need.
Last edited by BuddhaNature on January 17th, 2018, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

BuddhaNature wrote:(1) The zip file doesn't actually contain a "chrome" folder.
Odd, just checked a minute back and the chrome folder was there OK. I was doing database flushing on the site earlier, sometimes that can temporarily mess things up a bit. Anyway, seems fine now.
BuddhaNature wrote:(2) When I look at the content of the *.css files in Notepad there seem to be no carriage returns in the text. ...
... If I was entirely new to userChrome.css I would find that very confusing what was going on.
Jason (did?) just offers Stylish to people as a tool and the same is true of the chrome.zip. My job is just to get the correctly named folder and files in front of the user as quickly and easily as possible.

Dick, etc. then take over and help ensure that the right stuff is being put into those files.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Frank Lion wrote:
BuddhaNature wrote:(1) The zip file doesn't actually contain a "chrome" folder.
Odd, just checked a minute back and the chrome folder was there OK. I was doing database flushing on the site earlier, sometimes that can temporarily mess things up a bit. Anyway, seems fine now.
I must be getting the file from the wrong place I'm getting it from here: http://franklion.co.uk/GEN-LINKS/chrome.zip

Just downloaded it again and no chrome folder in the zip.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

BuddhaNature wrote:Just downloaded it again and no chrome folder in the zip.
Clear cache and try again? Used link above and it's still showing up OK here.

The zip has been fine for 3 years and then around 2 weeks ago a mate overwrote it while helping a novice user. Still, all back to normal now.

But thanks for taking the trouble to test this as it's pretty important for my files to be right!
BuddhaNature

Re: Highlight active tab with latest version please? = SORTE

Post by BuddhaNature »

Clear cache fixed it. chrome folder is in the zip.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Frank,

Here is what the *.css files in the zip file look like in Microsoft Notepad: Image

For some people new to .css some of that might just gobsmack them.

Note: the images are of Notepad with "word-wrap" on - which I think most users would use. With word-wrap off it's just as confusing for a beginner.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

BuddhaNature wrote:Frank,

Here is what the *.css files in the zip file look like in Microsoft Notepad
I only wrote the good ones, the example ones were plucked straight out, untouched, from a default Firefox profile...and were written by Mozilla.

Even when Mozilla were including the chrome folder in the profile, those example files were the only ones in it. So, I added mine - easier to understand, good to go and already correctly named.

I even slammed the namespaces hard up against the top of the files, to stop people being tempted to put their code above the namespace line. I really am too good to people. :P

Time for bed. :)
madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

My, my I've been having fun with this thread ....
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &start=150

and now have the perfect active tab, altered sizes for the icons in the location bar, different hovering on bits of tabs and hidden tab when it is the only one on a page.

What I couldn't find is a code for altering the height of the location bar itself?
Mud is good!
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

madmudmob wrote:My, my I've been having fun with this thread ....
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &start=150
Good. Glad you got it sorted and glad you're having fun, which is as it should be.

Bear in mind that the snippets on that thread were written with Firefox Australis (Firefox 29) in mind, so some may not work in 57.
What I couldn't find is a code for altering the height of the location bar itself?
Have a look in the css folder here, and in the future, as it's all 57+ stuff -
https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSfor ... er/classic

The location bar changes for 57 and styling them is trickier than it used to be. But, a working urlbar height 57 fix is tucked away on that link above.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Frank,

I just download Programmer's Notepad (which you mention in another thread) and loaded the *.css files from your zip file into Programmer's Notepad. Bang! All of them display as they should be. (Now I'm wondering why that doesn't happen in Microsoft Notepad.)

Anyway, have a new tool in my kit-box now. :)
madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

Thankyou all ... time for bed for me as I have another round of radiotherapy first thing tomorrow.

This thread has been a ride but well worth the journey Image
Mud is good!
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

=D>

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Well done, madmudmob! Glad you got the solution you wanted, however you arrived at it. :D
madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

Awww thanks folks *blush*

Frank Lion - I followed that link and have had fun altering things thanks to you but, unfortunately the location bar one only affects the address bar bit. So, more exploring needed :)
Mud is good!