Windows 10 Mail App vs Thunderbird?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
BrowseMail

Windows 10 Mail App vs Thunderbird?

Post by BrowseMail »

Hi,

I notice that Windows 10 comes with an app called Mail. How does this Mail app compare to Thunderbird? Overall, I simply need to access a Gmail account using IMAP.

Thanks.
DanRaisch

Re: Windows 10 Mail App vs Thunderbird?

Post by DanRaisch »

Either email program will let you connect to Gmail. The issue (for me) with Mail is that Microsoft has introduced and then dropped other email programs with earlier versions of Windows. Why put the time and effort into setting up Mail if the next Windows version (or even a future update) eliminates that program.
tomdkat

Post by tomdkat »

I've had limited experience with the Windows 10 Mail app. A friend got a new PC with Windows 10 on it and I got Mail setup to connect to her ISP's mail server. That part worked fine but I was surprised I couldn't import her contacts without going through some crazy hoops. Thunderbird to the rescue. :) I'm biased toward Thunderbird but I think it truly is a superior mail application. It's junk filtering is awesome and I love how it doesn't have limits on the number of message filters or folders you can have. I also really like how it manages multiple accounts. On my home system (Ubuntu Linux), I have more than 10 email accounts defined, with a mixture of POP3 and IMAP, and at least one Gmail account. I have over 200 mail filters defined which route mail to a variety of folders I have across the various accounts.

I know you're only interested in Gmail access so using Windows 10 Mail might suffice. However, I consider Thunderbird the *primary* mail application to use and Windows 10 Mail (or any other application) secondary. Just one man's opinion. :)

Peace...
T1Cybernetic

Post by T1Cybernetic »

DanRaisch wrote:Either email program will let you connect to Gmail. The issue (for me) with Mail is that Microsoft has introduced and then dropped other email programs with earlier versions of Windows. Why put the time and effort into setting up Mail if the next Windows version (or even a future update) eliminates that program.
As a long time Outlook Express user way back years ago :( This is the exact reasoning why I have used Thunderbird ever since ;) It does exactly what I need it to do with no problems and does it well.

Here's a respectable list if you are feeling like some play time with email clients :: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... il_clients
BrowseMail

Post by BrowseMail »

Thanks for your feedback. Several years ago I used Outlook Express as my main e-mail app (before I discovered Thunderbird), which Microsoft has now discontinued.