Behavior on websites.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Wonderful1

Behavior on websites.

Post by Wonderful1 »

Ever since the last couple of revisions, I have been having one heck of an ugly time. It used to be smooth, and FF has been my favorite browser. Now things continue to deteriorate. Many of old websites start freezing in the loading and give me an offer to stop a script because it is slowing down everything. What is causing this, and can anything be done to stop it? The main problems are Facebook games and Twitter which I had no problem with back when.

Sometimes, I can proceed by stopping the script, and reload the website, but what a pain.
DanRaisch

Re: Behavior on websites.

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
allande

Post by allande »

This only treats the symptom, probably not the main cause, but you can tell Firefox to give scripts a bit longer to think by going to about:config. Accept warning if shown. Search for dom.max_script_run_time . Default is I believe to warn after a page goes crazy for 10 seconds. Setting it to 30 seconds will still give you a warning eventually or prevent a bad site from bitcoin mining, but should reduce the number of warnings.

One other things you could try - disable Flash in the plugins list ctrl-shift-A then the plugins part.
Wonderful1

Post by Wonderful1 »

Starting in safe mode does not remedy. I have six tabs that open as home pages. 2 or 3 start throwing up "unresponsive script" pop ups right away.

I hesitate to go into the reg. Shouldn't it work for the majority as it is.

This is on a laptop, Win10. I also have two almost new desktops with no persistent problems with the newest revisions.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What's a URL for one or more of the sites where you find this occurring?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Well, the latter two I can't test because they require ID and passwords and don't have accounts on either Disk or Twitter. I didn't see any crash or problem with Words with Friends.
If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

Keep in mind that creating a new profile doesn't touch the old profile, so you lose nothing by trying this procedure.
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

With me mydish freezes (OK on Opera). Other two links are fine on Firefox (57.0.4).

Edit: just tried again now on Firefox and it's OK. Strange???