"Compact Databases" with CCleaner?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
BrowseMail

"Compact Databases" with CCleaner?

Post by BrowseMail »

Hi,

I notice that CCleaner has a "Compact Databases" option for Firefox, Thunderbird, Opera and Google Chrome. Is this worthwhile using? Does it give any noticeable performance improvements? Is it safe to use?

Thanks.
DanRaisch

Re: "Compact Databases" with CCleaner?

Post by DanRaisch »

No! Not safe at all. Don't let Ccleaner anywhere near Firefox or Thunderbird. There have been too many reports on these forums of Ccleaner corrupting Firefox profiles and both Firefox and Thunderbird are quite capable of managing their own clean up requirements.
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

Totally agree with DanRaisch about CC. However, I've been using Speedyfox to compact for several years without incident. It may well not be necessary, but it wouldn't hurt to run it once and see if it makes a difference in performance - which may be hard to judge.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

compacting is futile at all. firefox is "vaccuming" itself and after external compacting firefox need more time to start because it need to reconfigure its own messed up databases. neither nor advantage, but not wise.
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

I believe only places.sqlite is vacuumed, and only once a month at most. Mine was last done (by FF) Jan. 7 (about:config > storage.vacuum.last.places.sqlite).

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=512854
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I believe only places.sqlite is vacuumed, and only once a month at most. Mine was last done (by FF) Jan. 7 (about:config > storage.vacuum.last.places.sqlite).
Then the question would be, what other profile elements would benefit from any sort of compacting not provided by Firefox itself? The answer for me is "Nothing."
I'm not using anything but Firefox to manage it's data and see no performance degradation in a profile that's been in use now for four months.
BrowseMail

Post by BrowseMail »

Thanks for your feedback. I'll exclude my browser and e-mail apps from cleaning/compacting with CCleaner. Do any of you use CCleaner for any other purposes, such as deleting temporary Windows files?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Yes.
Just keep it away from Firefox & Thunderbird.
I do a "selected clean" of various programs.
Not too many though.

It has some neat Options too for removing those old Restore Points & so forth.

Be wery, wery, cwareful though.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
therube

Post by therube »

A bit dated, no?

My last vacuum shows, Fri, 12 Jan 2018.
(Now if I could only so easily vacuum my house.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

therube: yes, it's dated; that bug led to the decision to vacuum places.sqlite. I was just using it as a reference.

DanRaisch: the answer for me is most likely nothing.
kitesarefun

Post by kitesarefun »

DanRaisch wrote:No! Not safe at all. Don't let Ccleaner anywhere near Firefox or Thunderbird. There have been too many reports on these forums of Ccleaner corrupting Firefox profiles and both Firefox and Thunderbird are quite capable of managing their own clean up requirements.
Is that only after CCleaner's company Pirifrom was acquired by the horrific Avast in 2017? I have been using CCleaner for 8 or 10 years with no problems AFAIK. How do you know if your profile is corrupted? Neither FF nor Thunderbird has ever completely collapsed for me in the sense of losing settings etc. Just a freeze every two months or so requiring a simple killing of the process in Task Manager, then everything's fine again.

They both are brutally slow on startup and slow but not monstrously slow in running but I always thought that was due to extensions in FF (haven't had time to test them one by one) and too many tabs open in FF and too many emails in Thunderbird.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No, if memory serves there were issues with Ccleaner discussed before last year, sometimes including failure of Firefox to start up or inability to save changes to settings.
If you want to work on those slowness issues, please start new topics as that issue would be off topic for this thread.