Layoffs strike as Firefox's Mozilla reworks Asian operations

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Frank Lion

Layoffs strike as Firefox's Mozilla reworks Asian operations

Post by Frank Lion »

https://www.cnet.com/news/layoffs-mozil ... k-in-asia/
Now, it's making changes so it can "better meet the unique needs of consumers in emerging markets across Asia," Mozilla said in a statement Thursday.
It would appear that Mozilla are now going into the spring roll market.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Snake4

Re: Layoffs strike as Firefox's Mozilla reworks Asian operat

Post by Snake4 »

But it still trails Google's Chrome browser by a wide margin -- 55 percent of web usage for Chrome compared to 6 percent for Firefox, according to StatCounter's measurements -- and Firefox is a rare sight in the crucial mobile market.
interesting read that, thanks for posting Frank
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Statcounter readjusted their numbers for all markets. That's Firefox's total across all platforms worldwide. Desktop is hovering around 13%.
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Didn't we add a ton of users lately with Quantum? I thought I read an article, that mentioned that.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

tomatoshadow2 wrote:Didn't we add a ton of users lately with Quantum? I thought I read an article, that mentioned that.
More people did i think Download the New Firefox but soon went back to Chrome or Vivaldi after seeing that Extensions arent much better than Chromes if at all
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Ahh I see, I didn't hear that people left just like that.
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

Yes, it's quite likely a bunch of people will have tried the new Firefox and then gone back to their default. I did the same with Vivaldi and Opera (Chromium) but continued with Firefox as default. It's still my default, although I'm now using Opera more. I'm probably 50-50 in usage between the two now. I find that no one browser is better than all others in every respect, so have a bunch installed and may switch occasionally for certain tasks.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

tomatoshadow2 wrote:Didn't we add a ton of users lately with Quantum? I thought I read an article, that mentioned that.
With Mozilla spending the whole of October and half of November making sure that the entire tech press were on message with their 'Twice As Fast!' stuff, it would have been a miracle if downloads hadn't dramatically increased. Just because people would want to see what all the fuss was about. That's called curiosity and doesn't mean people are going to use it or switch over, especially when they find it's not as fast as claimed.

It's the same old Mozilla trick that they have been using for over 10 years now - to make something look good, then quote the Download figures (they have a few different ways of calculating that, including guessing). To make something look bad then quote the ADU (Average Daily User) figures and they have around 4 ways to calculate that.

For example, 20 - 30% only use Firefox at work and not at the weekends, so you can make legacy extensions/themes look bad just by taking 7 days (including weekends) and averaging that and calling that the ADU. ....and there's you thinking it meant average across a day.

From the OP link -
Mozilla's revenue soared to $520 million in 2016, the last year for which financial information is available, but the organization doesn't have infinite resources....
Well, it does sort of have around 2 years worth - $329,774,000 (as of Dec. 31st 2016) - of infinite resources.

For the last 10 years, Mozilla's incomings have far exceeded their outgoings. The difference gets invested as stocks, bonds, copper futures, etc. Just a glance at its audited accounts tells you that.

It also tells you that very little ever gets donated out again from that investment portfolio.

Just a little something to remember the next time you see one of Mozilla's donation pleas. ;)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Yeah makes sense forsure @Frank Lion, enjoy your insight as always when I come here daily. By the way, might be off topic guys, what are your opinions on the Mr.Robot extension mishap, what happened?
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

tomatoshadow2 wrote:Yeah makes sense forsure @Frank Lion, enjoy your insight as always when I come here daily. By the way, might be off topic guys, what are your opinions on the Mr.Robot extension mishap, what happened?
The same thing that always happens, PR people bypassed the development process and got chastised for it.
avada

Post by avada »

Omega X wrote:Statcounter readjusted their numbers for all markets. That's Firefox's total across all platforms worldwide. Desktop is hovering around 13%.
Actually it seems to the FF on desktop is in a constant albeit slow decline
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

avada wrote:
Omega X wrote:Statcounter readjusted their numbers for all markets. That's Firefox's total across all platforms worldwide. Desktop is hovering around 13%.
Actually it seems to the FF on desktop is in a constant albeit slow decline
Sad, i feel that Firefox will go the same way that Netscape did.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
trieste

Post by trieste »

There's always another browser -- like Brave, Vivaldi, Opera...

For now there's the Rust refactoring so Firefox isn't yet on its last legs. Unless something political comes up and all the actually-working developers get purged or quit en masse in disgust and flock elsewhere. Like Brave.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Interesting article..

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/ar ... 529160.php
Mozilla declined to comment on the specific terms of its agreement with Google.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

1shaun wrote:There's always another browser -- like Brave, Vivaldi, Opera...

For now there's the Rust refactoring so Firefox isn't yet on its last legs. Unless something political comes up and all the actually-working developers get purged or quit en masse in disgust and flock elsewhere. Like Brave.
All of those are the same browser, reskinned.

Rust components are ongoing but the end game is the Servo Engine.
mightyglydd wrote:Interesting article..

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/ar ... 529160.php
Mozilla declined to comment on the specific terms of its agreement with Google.
That's traditional.