Opening PDFs

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
GrapeLivre

Re: Opening PDFs

Post by GrapeLivre »

I just use mine. I tried the Default to see if it worked. I guess I could use the Default for that job.
Firefox 57.02 (64 bit). Enabled extensions: HTTPS Everywhere, Decentraleyes, NoSquint Plus, uBlock Orgin, and Theme and Font Size Changer. Windows 8.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Sounds like your other profile is corrupted. How old is it? Also, have you ever gone back to previous versions of FF using that profile?

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
GrapeLivre

Post by GrapeLivre »

I don't know how old my profile is. I din't think I went back to older FF versions with it.
Firefox 57.02 (64 bit). Enabled extensions: HTTPS Everywhere, Decentraleyes, NoSquint Plus, uBlock Orgin, and Theme and Font Size Changer. Windows 8.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Since you can use the default for now, I'm going to communicate to one of the other Mod's on the best way to fix your issue. Helper applications used to be able to be edited but no more. I'm looking for what to transfer from your default profile to your other profile to "fix" the problem. Note, would not do anything without backing up all profiles first.

I'll ping him but may not get any response until tomorrow.

What bothers me is there is no "Preview in Firefox" option.

GrapeLivre

Post by GrapeLivre »

Thank you for helping me. I can just make a new profile for me to use.

I don't need to use that site again until next week.
lolaiii

Post by lolaiii »

I'm having a similar problem in that I cannot get FF to "always ask" nor to open with Adobe Reader pdfs I'm downloading from the internet. I've tried multiple times to fix the settings; FF simply is not responding the settings. I'm about ready to dump FF.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

lolaiii wrote:I'm having a similar problem in that I cannot get FF to "always ask" nor to open with Adobe Reader pdfs I'm downloading from the internet. I've tried multiple times to fix the settings; FF simply is not responding the settings. I'm about ready to dump FF.

It may be the web site configuration. The MIME type determines what FF does, not the suffix on the file.
MDN web docs wrote: The Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) type is a standardized way to indicate the nature and format of a document. It is defined and standardized in IETF RFC 6838. The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) is the official body responsible to keeping track of all official MIME types, and you can find the most up-to-date and complete list at the Media Types page.

Browsers use the MIME type (and not the file extension) to determine how it will process a document; it is therefore important that servers are set up correctly to attach the correct MIME type to the header of the response object.
Give a URL where you are having an issue; I'll check it out in the AM.

lolaiii

Post by lolaiii »

It's a password protected site that I may not share. I tried using Chrome and when I clicked on the file I wanted to see Chrome opened it in a new window where I could read it and from there download it. When I tried in FF the test link (http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/testpages/pdf.html) mentioned in one of the replies herein, a message indicated

PDF Test

This page contains an embedded PDF document.
You do not have a PDF plugin installed or working.

So how do I get the PDF plugin?

Thanks.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

lolaiii wrote: When I tried in FF the test link (http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/testpages/pdf.html) mentioned in one of the replies herein, a message indicated

PDF Test

This page contains an embedded PDF document.
You do not have a PDF plugin installed or working.

So how do I get the PDF plugin?

Thanks.
I have Adobe Reader installed and set as Defualt for PDF's and that test page also told me that I don't have a PDF Plugin.... I wouldn't trust that test page myself.

Firefox also has a 'built-in' PDF reader. So something does not add up with that page.

EDIT: just changed the mime setting back to the internal reader (which in my opinion is lacking) and the test page works.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Did you click on the "This document may also be viewed standalone." link on that test page??
Works fine with Sumatra..and the Fx built in junker also 'works'.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
lolaiii

Post by lolaiii »

Yes. It offered another oppty to copy the pdf to my HD. Whoopy doopty. SOS
lolaiii

Post by lolaiii »

[quote="mightyglydd"]Did you click on the "This document may also be viewed standalone." link on that test page??

Yes I did and it went straight to download file mode.
therube

Post by therube »

Options | Applications (its probably different in 57), check the setting for 'Portable Document Format (PDF)'.
If it is not set to 'Preview in Firefox', then set it that way.
Now check, http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/testpages/pdf.html & confirm that the pdf displays embedded in FF.

If that still doesn't work, then as a test, create a new, clean Profile & test there.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
lolaiii

Post by lolaiii »

Thanks.