Is there any way to customize this menu option?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Tushman

Re: Is there any way to customize this menu option?

Post by Tushman »

I see a lot of questions asking me if I have downloaded the "folder-item.png" file. Yes, I most certainly do. See screenshot.

BuddhaNature, I will take your advice and read through your guide again. I read it completely last night, but it's possible I made a mistake somewhere along the way. And also thanks for pointing out there is a better code available. I'll try that code.

I appreciate everyone's help so far.
Last edited by Tushman on January 23rd, 2018, 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tushman

Post by Tushman »

So it seems that I did not correctly understand this. At first I thought that the folders would change back to the yellow/golden color on the left hand side (of the browser) where the bookmarks are shown. The code that I copied & pasted from the tutorial was in reality changing the "Show all bookmarks" menu.

Last edited by Tushman on January 23rd, 2018, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tushman

Post by Tushman »

Having read BuddhaNature's follow up response to me in this current thread, I finally got both the bookmark folder colour changed to my preference. And also successfully combined the code provided so kindly by Morat. See final screenshot.

Last edited by Tushman on January 23rd, 2018, 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

thats why i told you to use Aris css (ctr) collection
https://github.com/aris-t2/customcssforfx

but now i am out, because i dont support vulnerable software.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Yes, what you are seeing is correct for the code you used. However, the code you used will not affect the "Show all bookmarks" folder at all. Now replace that bookmarks code with this code (which is the improved code):

Code: Select all

/* USE OLD STYLE YELLOW BOOKMARK FOLDERS IN BOOKMARK DROPDOWN MENU. */
/* ALSO FORCES USE OLD STYLE BOOKMARK FOLDERS WHEN VIEWING "Show All Bookmarks" */
/* Need the image file "folder-item.png" to be inside the chrome folder */
.bookmark-item[container], treechildren::-moz-tree-image(container) {
  list-style-image: url("folder-item.png") !important;
  -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 32px, 16px, 16px) !important;
}
Try that and see if that is what you are really after.

If you prefer the other (newer) style of bookmarks then use this (improved) code and you will get the same result, though now relying on a "fill" colour (rather than using the old style yellow bookmarks as defined in the "folder-image.png" file). Note that if you use this code then you do not need the folder-image.png at all - but it is doing no harm to keep it in the chrome folder anyway.

/* FILL NEW STYLE BOOKMARK FOLDERS WITH GIVEN COLOUR */
/* THIS ALSO WORKS WHEN USING "Show All Bookmarks" */
.bookmark-item[container], treechildren::-moz-tree-image(container) {
  fill: green !important;
}
If you don't like the "green" colour then you can see a list of colours that should work here: CSS Colors
Last edited by BuddhaNature on January 23rd, 2018, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tushman

Post by Tushman »

BuddhaNature, I'm all set now. I appreciate your assistance.

On another note, I'm glad i posted my question because now I know how powerful a tweaked userChrome.css file can be. This has been a good learning experience for me.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Glad you got it working. I was entirely new to userChrome.css myself when I wrote my guide. I learned while doing that too. I have a few tweaks now but not many.
Tushman

Post by Tushman »

BuddhaNature wrote:Glad you got it working. I was entirely new to userChrome.css myself when I wrote my guide. I learned while doing that too. I have a few tweaks now but not many.
Oh really? What other tweaks do you have? I am only asking because all this new learning about userChrome.css file has got my curiosity going! (And besides, I like your avatar.) \:D/
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Following were, for me, notable userChrome.css scripts that I ended up using:

To highlight the Active tab: 8-bit's Highlight Active Tab Code (Note that you can use Colour-names if you don't want to use the hex-codes that 8-bit provides. The hex codes look like, for example, #2f35ff. Whichever method you use is up to your own preference. As far as I am aware the same thing applies to any 'colour' changes you might make chose hex-codes/colour-names as suits your own preference.)

To change the colour of various buttons: Changing home-button, back-button, forward-button colours (Read the whole thread.)

Also have this:

/* DEFINE SIZE OF TEXT IN ADDRESS BAR AND SEARCH BAR */
/* Adjust the 11px setting to suit your own preference */
#urlbar {
font-size: 11px !important; }
#searchbar .searchbar-textbox {
font-size: 11px !important; }
The above and the old style bookmarks folders is all that I have in my userChrome.css file.

However, I have this in my userContent.css file:

/* Firefox userContent.css */

@-moz-document url("chrome://browser/content/browser.xul")

/* Link colors should be defined in L-V-H-A order. */
a:link { color: blue !important; }
a:visited { color: DarkOrange !important; }
For reference for that userContent.css code see this thread: Changing ONLY visited link colors If you have any questions about userContent.css best start a new thread. I don't know anything about it myself - just grabbed the code above and that's as far as I want to go with that (at least for now).

You create the userContent.css file by the same means you created the userChrome.css file. You would also create that file inside the chrome folder. Note that the namespace line in the userContent.css file is @-moz-document url("chrome://browser/content/browser.xul") (So don't use the name-space line from your userChrome.css file.) Just use the code I've provided above and you should be good to go with that.

The only other general tip I have is if you want your bookmarks sorted in permanent alphabetic order then follow the instructions here: Sort Bookmarks By Name (Read the whole thread.)

Also use FF's "Customise..." feature to drag buttons around according to your own preferences.

(Enough from me. The thread is spinning out of topic and the mods might be along to lock it soon. Ah, well. They would actually have a point.)
Tushman

Post by Tushman »

That was a very excellent response and very detailed. Thanks again BuddhaNature.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

You are quite correct in your assessment, BN.
Seeing as all has been "fixed" & it's way OT, it's getting locked.
Just to stop any spam from accumulating....of course.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)