How can I migrate everything to Firefox or Chrome?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Melissa2009B

How can I migrate everything to Firefox or Chrome?

Post by Melissa2009B »

I started out in 1992 with Navigator, and liked the GUI so much that I followed it for all these years, all the way to Seamonkey. But for the last few months, this has been going downhill. I currently show no plugins ( another thread, that I'm frustrated with ) , nor can I search for them, because it gives no results when I try.

These support forums just seem for people who are so savvy with this ( I'm not, nor do I have time - I have a home based business. ), that they can continually work out patches and procedures.

So now I'm wondering how to move my bookmarks, passwords and tabs over to Firefox, or maybe Chrome, if that's even possible.

Frustrated in Denver
Melissa
DanRaisch

Re: How can I migrate everything to Firefox or Chrome?

Post by DanRaisch »

It's quite possible that your problems are not with SeaMonkey but with your profile so migrating data to Firefox might not fix anything for you.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Melissa2009B wrote:But for the last few months, this has been going downhill. I currently show no plugins ( another thread, that I'm frustrated with ) , nor can I search for them, because it gives no results when I try.
You can't search for plugins within SeaMonkey. Add-ons Manager can help search for extensions only (like Adblock Plus). Plugins are installed by external programs (Adobe Reader, Java JRE, MS Office, Adobe Flash Player). If you can't install such programs then you probably have problem with your OS (Win 8.1, I suppose).

Just for test create new profile under SeaMonkey and see if "about:plugins" shows anything.
--
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

TPR75 wrote:
Melissa2009B wrote:But for the last few months, this has been going downhill. I currently show no plugins ( another thread, that I'm frustrated with ) , nor can I search for them, because it gives no results when I try.
You can't search for plugins within SeaMonkey.
Didn't we used to be able to? Was that removed?
Add-ons Manager can help search for extensions only (like Adblock Plus). Plugins are installed by external programs (Adobe Reader, Java JRE, MS Office, Adobe Flash Player). If you can't install such programs then you probably have problem with your OS (Win 8.1, I suppose).
Maybe I had the terminology wrong. Something like Adobe Flash.
Just for test create new profile under SeaMonkey and see if "about:plugins" shows anything.
Melissa
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

TPR75 wrote:
Melissa2009B wrote:Just for test create new profile under SeaMonkey and see if "about:plugins" shows anything.
Well this is interesting. I'm currently using a profile that I moved from my old dead PC, last spring. But I had a newer profile that I just switched to for a test - one that was created when I installed SM on this newer PC. That profile shows a bunch of plug-ins installed AND lets me search for Flash, for example, and finds 5 things.

Now the only differences between this PC and my old dead one, was that the old dead one had been "upgraded" from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and when I bought this one, I wanted NO part of Windows 10, so I got it with Windows 8.1. BUT I think it was working find with the old PC profile that was moved here, until a couple of months ago.
Melissa