Security for password manager

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
L33w

Security for password manager

Post by L33w »

I got a message today that my computer had been hacked. While I don't notice anything amiss, I'm wondering if there is a way to protect the password manger in Seamonkey 2.49.1? Thanks.
ndebord

Re: Security for password manager

Post by ndebord »

L33w wrote:I got a message today that my computer had been hacked. While I don't notice anything amiss, I'm wondering if there is a way to protect the password manger in Seamonkey 2.49.1? Thanks.
Use the master password... the security is fairly basic (3DES), but if you use a long password, say 25 characters, caps, lower case, numbers and special characters you should be reasonably ok. Not NSA safe of course. Won't stop a keylogger either, which you should worry about if your computer has been hacked.

Edit/Preferences/Privacy & Security/Master Passwords (my personal choice there is to use it every time it is needed)
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

Depending on what kind of hack it was, there may be nothing you can do(except reformat) regardless of which software you use. Like the above keylogger example.
Knowing what kind of "hack" it is, and who sent the message, affects advice.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

What sort of message? Could have been a scam to try to get you to run a bogus scan or install some software that is actually malware.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers