Firefox 57 does not display PDFs within page.[Linux.]

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
jcobban

Firefox 57 does not display PDFs within page.[Linux.]

Post by jcobban »

When I add the following to a page:

<iframe src="/Articles/MicrofilmGimp.pdf" type="application/pdf" width="100%" height="600px" />

It works without any effort by the viewer in every browser EXCEPT Firefox which high-handedly IGNORES the clear instruction to display the document in the iframe and instead downloads it and without any warning to the customer, except the subtle appearance of a blue arrow in the menu bar, insists on downloading the file and requiring the user to open the file OUTSIDE OF THE BROWSER!

To see this in action go to https://www.jamescobban.net/displayPage ... rofilmGimp

I have tried several of the suggestions in this and other forums but all of them seem to be broken by Firefox 57.

I cannot demand that people who come to my web-site must switch to another browser. I need to be able to design my web pages so that they can be seen by anyone using any browser without having to install extra software.
Last edited by LIMPET235 on January 24th, 2018, 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Linux] to the title.
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Firefox 57 Does not Display PDFs within a Page

Post by malliz »

WFM
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

I get the .pdf file immediately downloaded when I visit the link above, and a very large empty box on the displayed page. I have FF set to download all pdf's, as I'm sure a great many folks do.
I would surely hate to see FF IGNORE my instructions, and do something else.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Just to reiterate I tried this again with 57.04 and 58 and in both cases the PDF loads in the frame so it looks like its only old versions of Firefox that are at fault or perhaps a script blocking addon. It works with ublock origin
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

You need to go into /Edit/Preferences and set PDF to "Always Ask"
You will then get the panel with the option to open with a PDF viewer on your system or download the PDF file.
This is for most of the Linux versions of Firefox for the past few years.
No problem with the page downloading or opening in the iFrame.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
therube

Re: Firefox 57 does not display PDFs within page.[Linux.]

Post by therube »

(I'll just note that the, Content-Type application/pdf, is correct.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript