Tab bar not moving below bookmark bar???

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
AndrewAM

Re: Tab bar not moving below bookmark bar???

Post by AndrewAM »

Ok, you got me.

I was determined not spend any time customizing, and it seemed like the best way was to refuse to create a userChrome.css file.

But I can't resist, so I'll do this tomorrow and let you know how it works. I really want my tab bar below all the other bars.

Thanks!
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

See also this thread at the SUMO support forum.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1186142
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

AndrewAM wrote: I was determined not spend any time customizing, and it seemed like the best way was to refuse to create a userChrome.css file.

But I can't resist, so I'll do this tomorrow and let you know how it works. I really want my tab bar below all the other bars.
With the amount of support postings that are "promoting" users to "mess with Firefox" via userChrome.css the developers have already undertaken retrieving information via telemetry about how many users are using a userChrome.css file now, per a Bugzilla report that was filed just prior to Nov. 17, 2017. (exact date a Bugzilla report is filed doesn't appear, but the first "Attachment" is dated on 11/17)

Bug 1446044
Add telemetry for userChrome.css usage
RESOLVED FIXED in Firefox 58

So my advice is to disable telemetry to keep Mozilla from "spying" upon users who are using a userChrome.css file. Discussion is discussion in that Bugzilla report about "grabbing" the userChrome code, and also mention was made of the possibility of making use of certain types of code impossible "down the road" (unless I read that in another Bug report on a similar or related topic). Whichever, I gotta tell you that I wouldn't put it past Mozilla to completely eliminate or block certain types of code from being used, or even eliminate the ability for users to use a userChrome.css file altogether in the future - within Firefox.

Completely my own opinion, but my trust in Mozilla doing the "right thing" for advanced users is at its lowest point ever. I would rather be proved wrong on this matter and be accused of being an "alarmist", than to see "things" come to the point that we can't use userChrome.css customizations as much as we now can or see it limited or blocked entirely.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
AndrewAM

Post by AndrewAM »

CaJazzman wrote: AndrewAM, try this code for your UserChrome.css file.
It might be what you are wanting. 8-)
Almost, but it turned out Flycasters code worked better for me, only moving the tab bar. Your code also caused the toolbar icons to display their text labels, which was an unwanted change.

If you hadn't posted something specifically for me, I probably wouldn't have created a userChrome.css file and started playing around. Now my tab bar is exactly where I want it. Thanks for getting me going on this!
CaJazzman

Post by CaJazzman »

AndrewAM wrote:
CaJazzman wrote: AndrewAM, try this code for your UserChrome.css file.
It might be what you are wanting. 8-)
Almost, but it turned out Flycasters code worked better for me, only moving the tab bar. Your code also caused the toolbar icons to display their text labels, which was an unwanted change.

If you hadn't posted something specifically for me, I probably wouldn't have created a userChrome.css file and started playing around. Now my tab bar is exactly where I want it. Thanks for getting me going on this!
Your welcome, and maybe you don't like the text with the icon, which is what I like, but, just having that code, will help you along in that direction as you stated. I'll bet there are many tricks to be had, but just these work for me. I also like that I can move the text with icon from one tool bar to another, having them work on either. Just one's taste other then other's. 8-)
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

the-edmeister, I don't find Bug 1446044 searching for it or 'Add telemetry for userChrome.css usage' or variations thereof.
Eckard

Post by Eckard »

siffemoz wrote:the-edmeister, I don't find Bug 1446044 searching for it or 'Add telemetry for userChrome.css usage' or variations thereof.
It's bug 1416044 and you'll find it here =>> Bug 1416044
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

Whenever I try to drag/move a tab on the tab bar to a different position on the bar, it automatically moves to the first position. Perhaps there is something in my code that needs a tweak?
Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

Eckard wrote:
siffemoz wrote:the-edmeister, I don't find Bug 1446044 searching for it or 'Add telemetry for userChrome.css usage' or variations thereof.
It's bug 1416044 and you'll find it here =>> Bug 1416044
Thanks, Eckard. Wonder why searching the name fails.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

siffemoz wrote: Wonder why searching the name fails.
?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Add+t ... gAa3tbSYCA
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
therube

Post by therube »

DDG finds it, https://duckduckgo.com/html?q=site%3Abu ... Chrome.css.
It is odd though that others are not picking it up?
(Mozilla conspiracy..>? Mozilla is paid by Google..>?)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript