Is it safe to upgrade to 58 yet?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
D.Dancer

Post by D.Dancer »

And if you don't know the answer, please refrain from posting.

This is because of the extension errors that were introduced with 57.
DanRaisch

Re: Is it safe to upgrade to 58 yet?

Post by DanRaisch »

Version 58 does not move Firefox backwards to restore compatibility with legacy extensions. Any legacy extension that worked with 57 should work with 58. There have also been new web extensions released since version 57 was introduced which may provide some or all of the functionality of a given legacy extension. You'd have to look through the extensions on AMO to see if the extensions you are concerned about have been replaced in that way.
therube

Post by therube »

Right.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
D.Dancer

Post by D.Dancer »

I'm on FF56 and currently cannot find out if the extensions I rely on have been updated to work with later versions of FF due to the addons page at mozilla not listing such information.
You'd have to look through the extensions on AMO to see if the extensions you are concerned about have been replaced in that way.
Do you know just how many extensions come up with "password exporter"?
And did you know that only the first link provides the required functionality to be installed on my machines.
Plural: I run quite a few machines and need to maintain the passwords on them all so exporting the passwords is critical to the mission.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Do you know just how many extensions come up with "password exporter"?
No
And did you know that only the first link provides the required functionality to be installed on my machines.
No
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

D.Dancer wrote:I run quite a few machines and need to maintain the passwords on them all so exporting the passwords is critical to the mission.
Firefox Sync should sync your passwords. On your main, most up to date computer (i.e., all your passwords are current) sign up for Sync and make sure syncing logins is enabled.

On each other computer, sign in using your Firefox sync account and the passwords will sync between computers.

The data is encrypted and only available to you.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ho ... y-computer
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
therube

Post by therube »

cannot find out if the extensions I rely on have been updated
Do the pages not show something similar to, "This add-on requires a newer version of Firefox (at least version 57.0a1). You are using Firefox 56.0."?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
CaJazzman

Post by CaJazzman »

therube wrote:
cannot find out if the extensions I rely on have been updated
Do the pages not show something similar to, "This add-on requires a newer version of Firefox (at least version 57.0a1). You are using Firefox 56.0."?
There are many addons that no longer work, with the newer version of Firefox, but, so, far, I really don't miss most of them. There are a couple I do miss such as ColorfulTabs, but those I can wait for until there's an update to make them work again, but I, will say that I really like the newer version of Firefox, which, I now have, 58.0.1, and is much faster and cleaner then the older versions. 8-)
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

For you? NO.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
D.Dancer

Post by D.Dancer »

smsmith wrote:
D.Dancer wrote:I run quite a few machines and need to maintain the passwords on them all so exporting the passwords is critical to the mission.
Firefox Sync should sync your passwords. On your main, most up to date computer (i.e., all your passwords are current) sign up for Sync and make sure syncing logins is enabled.

On each other computer, sign in using your Firefox sync account and the passwords will sync between computers.

The data is encrypted and only available to you.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ho ... y-computer
NO

I do not want all my personal passwords on my work machine for example, but I do need to maintain a list of which passwords are on which machine so WHEN I change them, I know exactly how many machines will be affected by the change.

I maintain my passwords in an external program database that also generates the passwords for me, and achieve a ultra strong password that beats many password generators out on the internet.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

D.Dancer wrote:
NO

I do not want all my personal passwords on my work machine for example, but I do need to maintain a list of which passwords are on which machine so WHEN I change them, I know exactly how many machines will be affected by the change.

I maintain my passwords in an external program database that also generates the passwords for me, and achieve a ultra strong password that beats many password generators out on the internet.
Yeah, whatever. The whole thread topic is moot considering that you are now using Firefox 59.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

current is version 60, please update.
D.Dancer

Post by D.Dancer »

Frank Lion wrote:Yeah, whatever. The whole thread topic is moot considering that you are now using Firefox 59.
No I am not, where did you get that idea from?

Oh wait, is it because I have several machines and have the ability to post from any of them?

I let one machine upgrade, and the results are less than, ok.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

if you dont want firefox go waterfox please.

and Frank is more that right - you try fooling us with user agents and you answer is pointless
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
either you want to deal with quantum or not. mixing up shows up that your interests in quantum are not really present.
thats why i suggest waterfox because waterfox ist resisting on v56 and its upcoming fixes rom firefox quantum.
D.Dancer

Post by D.Dancer »

Brummelchen wrote:if you dont want firefox go waterfox please.

and Frank is more that right - you try fooling us with user agents and you answer is pointless
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
either you want to deal with quantum or not. mixing up shows up that your interests in quantum are not really present.
thats why i suggest waterfox because waterfox ist resisting on v56 and its upcoming fixes rom firefox quantum.
Not playing games with useragent switching, I have several machines, I permitted one machine to upgrade to 59.0.3 and it broke a lot of functionality of the, rig, so to speak.

For example, none of my passwords were preserved through the upgrade. Which is why I am super happy that I have an external password file, I would of been super pissed if I lost all my passwords due to Firefox eating them.

Some of the extensions that are supposed to work with 59, don't work as expected with 59, e.g. Stylish & Greasemonkey for example, they are requiring a large number of tweaks to work.

My bookmarks got borked.

So, the answer is, it is NOT safe to upgrade from 56 yet.