Disable or delete "Other Bookmarks"

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
pterosky

Disable or delete "Other Bookmarks"

Post by pterosky »

I want to get rid of "Other Bookmarks", especially since it seems like it recently was set as default for new bookmarks. At least I would like to change default folder for new bookmarks from "Other Bookmarks" to "Bookmarks Menu".

Behaviour:
Click CTRL + D

Result:
"Folder: Other Bookmarks" is selected

Wanted Result:
"Folder: Bookmarks Menu" is selected

Is it possible from about:config, or somewhere else? I tried the add-on https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rk-folder/, but it made bookmarks slow. Also, I like to keep it simple, and not add yet another add-on.

Firefox Quantum, version 58.0
Brummelchen

Re: Disable or delete "Other Bookmarks"

Post by Brummelchen »

that folder is a firefox system folder, there exist some css code in this forum to hide, but you can not disable or delete it.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

There's some css code to hide the Other Folders in these threads...
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... p=14777889
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1149773
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
pterosky

Post by pterosky »

Thanks for the links, though I am not sure they would help in this case ...

I just see that a bug report has been created at BugZilla, so I hope it will soon be fixed: Saving bookmark keep defaulting to "Other bookmarks" folder
eisneun

Post by eisneun »

i don't use it but some people have recommended this addon:
Default Bookmark Folder
How can ace be one and eleven? Huh?
What kind of god would allow that?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

lets cross fingers if mozilla dev will change something. "default bookmark folder" is currently the only solution.

nevertheless drag and drop into the sidebar (bookmarks) may work also, or the library window in total, or pressing the down/choice arrow to select another one that is not currently in the list (5 recent). quantum is growing, keep some hope ;)
bodwyn

Post by bodwyn »

I'm blown away that this issue is still causing so many people trouble and has never been resolved.

To add my issue to this thread, I can't figure out what Firefox is doing.
I have given up on the idea of getting rid of the Other Bookmarks folder.
I'm using Default Bookmark Folder add-on - added to each device one by one as it's still not a function incorporated into Firefox.

I want to delete all the bookmarks IN the Other Bookmarks folder.
I can do this in Windows, but they reappear - presumably this is a Sync issue.
They sometimes get put into the Bookmarks Menu folder.
Bookmarks from 10 years ago appear, just thrown all over the place in no order, with loads of empty folders - also from years ago.
Firefox on Android has no way to delete ookmarks except one by one, and given the way the Other Bookmarks folder diligently creates more and more from somewhere, it would take days to go through them all.

I think Sync and Firefox Android may be the key though - I sync and my other PC reflects the change (putting all the Other bookmarks into a sub-folder calle 2019delete), but while that folder is added to Firefox Android, any other changes to the bookmarks in Firefox Android are not reflected.

Firefox 67.0.3 (64-bit)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Sync is 2-way. Dont judge about things you dont understand.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Sounds that there are issues with the places.sqlite database.
If you need to repair places.sqlite or make major changes to the bookmarks then best is to disconnect Sync temporarily on all connected devices.
Just to be sure, you can use "Verify Integrity" on the about:support page to check for issues with the
database.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Bookmarks_not ... marks_file

Once places.sqlite is fixed then first connect the desktop computer and give it enough time for the initial Sync to finish. Once that is done then you can connect other devices one at the time.