Fx58 -- favicon invasion

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Cheekeh Munkeh

Fx58 -- favicon invasion

Post by Cheekeh Munkeh »

One the first things I do when I set up a new profile is to disable favicons; I'd rather see none at all than the mishmash that inevitably results.

It seems that Fx58 no longer respects

browser.chrome.favicons
browser.chrome.site_icons

being set to false, as random favicons now populate my bookmarks.

Have those been deprecated or do I need to file a bug?
Gingerbread Man

Re: Fx58 -- favicon invasion

Post by Gingerbread Man »

While Firefox is closed, delete favicons.sqlite from your profile folder. I don't see them returning even after visiting a few bookmarks after that.

As for a bug report, this might already be covered by bug 1423993 based on the summary.
Cheekeh Munkeh

Post by Cheekeh Munkeh »

Thanks.

Yeah, one of the first things I did was to double check the prefs and trash that db file, but a couple have crept in since then.

The wonkiness in displaying some random ones, but not consistently all, only reinforced the notion that it is an unintended result. Always seemed kinda odd to me there are separate prefs, but at least it's on the radar.
bob c

Post by bob c »

Anyway to get rid of all the icons (favicons) in the bookmarks folder. I have them removed from the toolbar, but every time I open the bookmarks folder, there are a thousand of them, all grey little circles.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

favicons need to be reloaded from webpage (in visiting) if there exist no favicon reloader as extension.

edit
* using an older places.sqlite with favicons in firefox 57/58/59/60 will result in propler places+favicons
* using a backup jsonlz4 dont recover favicons

for the confusion about wrong favicons due a firefox 57 bug - visit that address, either the favicon will renew or delete the bookmark and add it instantly again.