57+ how to close Firefox to minimize?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
BuddhaNature

Re: 57+ how to close Firefox to minimize?

Post by BuddhaNature »

I just downloaded RBTray v4.3 direct from SourceForge RBTray and tested that with FF 58 - again it works fine for me - and I too am on a Windows 7 64-bit system same as you are. So working with FF 58 wherever I download it from. Note that for the SourceForge RBTray you would just open the folder, 32bit or 64bit, and launch the file RBTray.exe. (Different way of launching from the PortableApps way of packaging it.)
madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

I have done as you suggested and the Task Manager tells me RBTray is running .... it is working with IE too.

As for Firefox = nothing. Once again I'm stumped as no customisation etc will work on the top bars of my FF.

Will delete my history, cookies etc and restart as one last attempt.

Never mind, thankyou for your help :)
Mud is good!
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Well if it's working with IE then you know RBTray is running fine. And it is working with my FF 58. So what I'm wondering now - given the problem you've raised here, and the other problems you have raised on other threads - if you have a problem with your install of FF Quantum? Did you by any chance wholesale import an old profile from your pre-Quantum FF into the Quantum profile? I'm thinking this because the general advice on this forum for people coming from old FF into installing FF Quantum has been to do the following:

(1) Make a copy of your profile folder.
(2) Uninstall your pre-Quantum FF.
(3) Delete your profile folder (not the copy you made).
(4) Install the new Quantum FF and allow it make a an entirely new profile.
(5) Now selectively copy into the new profile that Quantum created only essential elements of your old profile. For example favicons.sqlite and places.sqlite. So basically you are building up the new (Quantum) profile from scratch.

I followed those steps myself when installing Quantum for the first time and can't really say I've had any problems with it.

If I were you and experiencing the problems that you are experiencing I would give that a try. Kind of drastic step, but maybe a completely clean start and build up from there step-by-step, checking things are working as you go, is what is required.
madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

Will give it some thought Image
Mud is good!
max2

Post by max2 »

Thanks I got my Firefox 58 to close Firefox to minimize :)
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

madmudmob wrote:Will give it some thought ]
If you do decide to try it then it would be good to read the following articles on what files you might want to selectively import to your new created Quantum profile:

Recovering important data from an old profile

Transferring data to a new profile - Firefox

I would read both as they have some slight differences in terms of information provided.
madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

I found a program recommended gawd knows where in one of the many articles I read via good old Google throughout the night and have installed Actual Window Minimizer 8.11.2 which works perfectly for me

Mud is good!
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Actual Window Minimizer = $19.95 to buy. What! Cripes, RBTRay is Open Source and freeware, and it works. Anyway, glad you found a solution that you like.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Might have spoken a little too soon. Just download and tried AWM and it's pretty good. Minimises FF to the tray (and Thunderbird too which RBTray doesn't manage). AWM also has some nice additional features - worth a try. Still don't know if I'd spend $19.95 on it though. Nevertheless, good find, madmudmob. Thanks for posting the inf up.
madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

Makes a change for me to be of use rather than asking questions Image

You're most ....... Image
Mud is good!
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Just found out if you go to uninstall AWM then you get a reduced-priced offer to coax you into buying. (At least that's what I got.) Worth a shot if you haven't actually paid for it yet, madmudmob. Might take advantage of the reduced-price myself once I get some spare cash.