Gray "Mask"/Layer over URL box and Tool Bar folder-??

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
viper69

Gray "Mask"/Layer over URL box and Tool Bar folder-??

Post by viper69 »

I updated to FF 57.0, and so far I have 2 problems with it.

1. My tool bar and URL box above have some type of opaque layer on top of them. This prevents any theme I have from showing their true colors.

2. The Folder icons in the tool bar and bookmark folders within folder are all white outlined with a gray fill.

How do I get back my nice "old fashioned" butter yellow folders that were easy to see. These grey folders are TERRIBLE!! and so is this ridiculous grey layer I mentioned. It makes it so hard to see now :shock: :( ](*,)

ANY help appreciated!
BuddhaNature

Re: Gray "Mask"/Layer over URL box and Tool Bar folder-??

Post by BuddhaNature »

Don't know about your URL box issue. I'm not even clear about what it is you are referring. A crop of an image might be helpful in that respect.

To get your old style bookmark folders back read this: A Beginner's Guide to Creating and Using a userChrome.css File Read all of that post and, after you've made a userChrome.css file, pay particular attention to the section of that post titled: IMPORTANT EDIT: and follow the additional instructions that "edit" points to.
Last edited by BuddhaNature on January 26th, 2018, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaJazzman

Post by CaJazzman »

If you add this code to the userChrome.css file, you can change the color of the folders, to whatever you prefer. I have mine as orange.

Code: Select all

/* FILL BOOKMARK FOLDERS WITH GIVEN COLOUR */
/* THIS ALSO WORKS WHEN USING "Show All Bookmarks" */
.bookmark-item[container], treechildren::-moz-tree-image(container) {
  fill: orange !important;
Hope this is what you are wanting. 8-)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

I updated to FF 57.0, and so far I have 2 problems with it.
current is firefox 58, v57 has bugs and is vulnerable
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

update again!

but i consider a remnant in your old profile thus i always recommend to start a fresh profile with quantum!

create a new profile
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
or
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

This article explains how to selectively transfer Firefox user data and settings to a new Firefox profile
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

CaJazzman,

The OP is wanting the old-style yellow bookmark folders back. The code you have provided doesn't achieve that - it only offers a way of colourising the new-style bookmark folders.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

viper69 wrote:My tool bar and URL box above have some type of opaque layer on top of them. This prevents any theme I have from showing their true colors.

Solved here, see Gingerbread Man's code.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14778786
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

mightyglydd wrote:Solved here, see Gingerbread Man's code.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14778786
Reading that thread, I think I'm beginning to understand what viper69 is talking about with the 'masking'. Funny though, I updated to v57 and then v58 as soon as they were released and didn't experience that 'masking' at all. But then, when I installed v57 I did so as a completely fresh install of FF, just letting the installer create a new profile and built up from there (the only thing I imported from my old profile was places.sqlite and favicons.sqlite), so maybe that's why I skipped that issue.
viper69

Post by viper69 »

I have updated to FF 58 now, and the problem is still there.

You will see a grey/opaque "layer". The theme is supposed to be dark black purple, like in the upper right. However notice the clear rectangular division between the top right and lower right. This is a real pain.

You can see this grey mask on the second image in the same link, it's CLEAR as day.

See link here https://imgur.com/a/BJBry

I'm not sure why, but why did the FF developers require some type of css file to be required knowledge in order to use the browser. I never had to learn the css file before. I feel FF is becoming overly complex now. I'm clearly missing something perhaps. Frustrating..
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Black by MaDonna 'skin'.

+

#nav-bar,
#PersonalToolbar {
  background: transparent !important;
}
=

@ Mozilla knows what's best for us..
viper69

Post by viper69 »

mightyglydd wrote:Black by MaDonna 'skin'.

+

#nav-bar,
#PersonalToolbar {
  background: transparent !important;
}
=

@ Mozilla knows what's best for us..
I'm not sure what you are getting at. Are you telling me I need to insert code somewhere, and if so where? I don't have that skin by the way.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

ok, now more clear - what you see, the grey layer, is from the windows 7 (you are using) aero feature and firefox is using this feature. (the image seems from a theme) so you need to opt-out the aero with a userchrome.css. i think its possible, look mightys code, he also uses windows 7.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

viper69 wrote:I never had to learn the css file before.
Strictly speaking you don't need to "learn css" even now. All you need to do is learn how to create a userChrome.css and copy and paste some code from these forums into the userChrome.css file. It's actually very easy if you approach it step-by-step. First time around it might take you around half-hour to an hour to do that, and most of that time would just be reading the guide. After that you can do it in minutes - not difficult. Why fall because of a miniscule hurdle?
viper69

Post by viper69 »

Thanks for the clarification. I will dig into this over the weekend, and will come back here if I have questions.
viper69

Post by viper69 »

BuddhaNature wrote:
viper69 wrote:I never had to learn the css file before.
Strictly speaking you don't need to "learn css" even now. All you need to do is learn how to create a userChrome.css and copy and paste some code from these forums into the userChrome.css file. It's actually very easy if you approach it step-by-step. First time around it might take you around half-hour to an hour to do that, and most of that time would just be reading the guide. After that you can do it in minutes - not difficult. Why fall because of a miniscule hurdle?
I'll follow the link you provided and see how it goes, this mask is annoying as heck!