FF 58- Slower

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
viper69

FF 58- Slower

Post by viper69 »

Why is FF 58 slower in loading web pages than an earlier version I had, I believe I had FF 56.

The new version, always see 3 little dots sliding back and forth in the tab when it loads a page, the lag time is definitely a few more seconds than previous FF version.

Any ideas on this?
allande

Re: FF 58- Slower

Post by allande »

Several things installed on your computer can trigger a mode in Firefox which is slower. To prevent this, go to options (in the hamburger menu), search for accessibility and check the box for (or make sure it is already checked) for Prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser. Checking this will mean that screen reader software for the visually impaired would not work.
Of course there are many other potential things that could cause slow Firefox. Google search would lead to many possible options.
viper69

Post by viper69 »

allande wrote:Several things installed on your computer can trigger a mode in Firefox which is slower. To prevent this, go to options (in the hamburger menu), search for accessibility and check the box for (or make sure it is already checked) for Prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser. Checking this will mean that screen reader software for the visually impaired would not work.
Of course there are many other potential things that could cause slow Firefox. Google search would lead to many possible options.
Thanks I'll look into this. The slow is due to the version change this I know. It happened the moment I updated.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Troubleshoot and diagnose Firefox problems
Most problems with Firefox can be fixed by following the troubleshooting methods described below. Try these steps in order.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... x-problems

provide some information (text, not raw)
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/us ... ix-firefox
therube

Post by therube »

Is it slow only at startup or slow at other times too?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Hönö

Post by Hönö »

therube wrote:Is it slow only at startup or slow at other times too?
It's not the startup but the page load. Even the empty new page at startup loads extremely slowy.

But the slowness only appears on my Win7 machine; on Ubuntu, it is normal. I tried disabling all extensions, but it didn't help. However, in Safe Mode, it is slick. What extra does Safe Mode disable that I cannot disable myself to see which extension it is?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
viper69

Post by viper69 »

therube wrote:Is it slow only at startup or slow at other times too?
The actual start of the program is not slow, just page loading can be slow
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

What extensions do you have installed?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoting dfoulkes:

-- What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

It also disables the hardware acceleration which is probably the problem.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
BigJohnnyCool

Post by BigJohnnyCool »

allande wrote:Several things installed on your computer can trigger a mode in Firefox which is slower. To prevent this, go to options (in the hamburger menu), search for accessibility and check the box for (or make sure it is already checked) for Prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser. Checking this will mean that screen reader software for the visually impaired would not work.
Where can the accessibility box be found in the menu? (I have this problem too...)
allande

Post by allande »

The accessibility box is - under options, then the privacy & security tab, then the last box under permissions (bottom third of the page). Note that as above, hardware acceleration is also a good thing to do a test with / without.
Hönö

Post by Hönö »

smsmith wrote:It also disables the hardware acceleration which is probably the problem.
Nah, I haven't had acceleration on for quite a while. And yes, I just checked: no tick in the box.

Edit: Ticking the box also doesn't help any. The slow page load doesn't seem to be affected by hw acceleration either way.
Hönö

Post by Hönö »

I also ticked Prevent accessibility services, and it didn't help at all either. So, I have to completely uninstall extensions to see if any of them causes this., but it will take loads of my time.