New firefox very unstable

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
sekular

New firefox very unstable

Post by sekular »

I upgraded to the new firefox at work and I have constant problems with it.

1. Context menu stops working completely.
2. When adding ssl exceptions it freezes the entire browser.
3. When clicking in the search box, what is meant to drop down below the search box, instead flashes up in the top left corner of the screen, except it is a black box.

I don't notice any speed improvements compared to the older version. This entire quantum version has been a disaster as far as i can see. Good job I didn't move to that version at home....
DanRaisch

Re: New firefox very unstable

Post by DanRaisch »

You don't say what version the "new Firefox" actually was but I'm not seeing that in my use of version 58.0.1 nor have I seen large numbers of reports of such difficulties. And Quantum has been without issues here, except for legacy extension compatibility.

Did you try whatever version that was in Mozilla Safe Mode to rule out conflicts with installed extensions? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
CaJazzman

Post by CaJazzman »

DanRaisch wrote:You don't say what version the "new Firefox" actually was but I'm not seeing that in my use of version 58.0.1 nor have I seen large numbers of reports of such difficulties. And Quantum has been without issues here, except for legacy extension compatibility.

Did you try whatever version that was in Mozilla Safe Mode to rule out conflicts with installed extensions? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
I, agree, that this version, 58.0.1 is faster and cleaner, and am having not one issue, except as you say, about the legacy extentions, which who knows that may change, but, I'm very patient, and I know, Firefox is still the very best browser out there. 8-)
therube

Post by therube »

1. Context menu stops working completely.
On "Mozilla" websites, that's the new normal.
Oops, no, I was thinking about extensions.
Extension won't work on "Mozilla" websites.

So if your context-menu isn't working, something else is going on.
I don't notice any speed improvements compared to the older version.
Agreed. Hype vs reality.
(Actually there may be some "speed improvements", but in the scheme of things, whatever they may be, its of relatively little importance. [And since there is nothing else except "speed" for Mozilla to hype...)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i dont read a call for help. please be specific or stay on your current choice cyberfox.

create a new profile
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
or
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

This article explains how to selectively transfer Firefox user data and settings to a new Firefox profile
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox
sekular

Post by sekular »

The latest current version of firefox on the stable release version. The only addon that I have installed was ublock. I use it at work like this to try out the new version. My findings was the issues I pointed out above. I had not done anything to the config, it was a fresh windows 10. I have new profile and have not even imported bookmarks, as i forgot to copy them from my previous pc and was too lazy to copy it.

The only thing I have done was use addons used for video confercing, like zoom, gotoassist, blue jeans, cisco and so on. Also install flash.

I will make a new profile and report back.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

sekular wrote:
The only thing I have done was use addons used for video confercing, like zoom, gotoassist, blue jeans, cisco and so on. Also install flash.
And you don't think that could be the problem?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
sekular

Post by sekular »

malliz wrote:
sekular wrote:
And you don't think that could be the problem?
I don't see why that would be a problem. Those are basically downloads that install outside of the browser. They don't add plugins to firefox except flash.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

was use addons used for video confercing, like zoom, gotoassist, blue jeans, cisco
Those are basically downloads that install outside of the browser. They don't add plugins
hint: "addons" is the superset of plugins and extensions.
and software outside can install extensions (most plugins are ignored dude security) and those extensions are link in registry so that firefox can find and use them.

so you need to deactivate those extensions in firefox or uninstall/remove them with the program setup - in hard cases it need to uninstall the complete program. in special cisco is know for negativ impacts.