Bookmarks are being put in 'other folder'

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
B9huP48H743iujXTeLR2

Bookmarks are being put in 'other folder'

Post by B9huP48H743iujXTeLR2 »

I noticed recently (since firefox 58 maybe?) that none of my bookmarks were working. Then I noticed firefox was putting them in a folder called 'Other Bookmarks'. Which means anytime I create a bookmark I need to change the path, or I need to move every single bookmark into my menu when I forget...

I like things to be simple. Can I tell firefox to put my bookmarks in the bookmark menu for easy access?
aborix

Re: Bookmarks are being put in 'other folder'

Post by aborix »

Try the extension Default Bookmark Folder.
B9huP48H743iujXTeLR2

Post by B9huP48H743iujXTeLR2 »

I don't understand, why do I need an addon for this? What logical reason is there for Mozilla to want to make it hard for us to get to our bookmarks (or make us do many useless clicks)?
aborix

Post by aborix »

Different methods of saving bookmarks added them to different default folders. This was standardized to "Other bookmarks" as the default folder:
Bug 1120110 - Standardize default output folder for adding bookmarks by various methods

Maybe in future there will be a preference to choose the default folder:
Bug 1412263 - Provide preference to change default folder for saving bookmarks

Everybody can provide a patch. :wink:
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

B9huP48H743iujXTeLR2 wrote:...What logical reason is there for Mozilla to want to make it hard for us to get to our bookmarks (or make us do many useless clicks)?
After reading the reports justifying the new default folder, I still don't see the logic.

In any event, I've gotten into the habit of simply highlighting, dragging and dropping the URL of the page I want to bookmark onto the "Bookmarks" menu tab. It automatically puts it into the main Bookmarks Menu, where it appears at the bottom of the list (where I'm used to finding it.)

OF
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

B9huP48H743iujXTeLR2 wrote:I don't understand, why do I need an addon for this?
Pretty simple. You chose to post on the Support forums of an independent Mozilla user community. Just what kind of support did you think one user is going to be able to give to another?

Either take the solution given and be grateful for it or go ask Mozilla directly to change their default behaviour.

Ortho_Fan wrote:After reading the reports justifying the new default folder, I still don't see the logic.
That's been true of many Mozilla bug reports for a long time now. ;)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)