lost e mail content

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
cladder

lost e mail content

Post by cladder »

the content of my e-mails is being deleted or fill with a load of figures and numbers. e mail is still there its just when you click into it its empty this happeneds after a few weeks so i can not keep any e mails.
i have not been tweaking anything i am happy as is
thanks richard
tanstaafl

Re: lost e mail content

Post by tanstaafl »

It might be a corrupted inbox. Does this problem only occur with the inbox folder?

"Corrupt folders tend to occur when you have lots of messages in a folder, many of them are deleted, and you don't compact often enough. This is usually only a problem for the inbox folder as while other folders may get very large you typically don't delete messages in them often. It's recommended that you keep the number of messages in your inbox small, and move any you want to permanently keep to other folders/child folders."

"Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Network & Disk Space -> "Compact folders when it will save over X MB" is automatically enabled and defaults to 20MB" .

I suggest you move most of the messages that you want to keep from the inbox to other folders, empty the trash, lower "Compact folders when it will save over X MB" to 1MB , compact the folders (do this last as it can make things worst if your folder is badly corrupted) and see if the problem goes away. If not see the real fix section in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders
cladder

Post by cladder »

cache was full so deleted but i always delete e mails i do not want to keep i have no more than 10 if that strange i have not change my habits and this happens out of the blue see how it gos now
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The cache has no effect on this. It basically holds copies of remote images and ssl certificates.

Is this problem occurring with a POP or IMAP account?
Does it occur with other accounts?
If you log into webmail using a browser does it's copy of the message have the same problem?

Try running in safe mode using "help -> restart with add-ons disabled", check for new mail, and see if the problem is a side effect of some add-on that doesn't work well with the latest version of Thunderbird, due to changes in the Mozilla toolkit (what API's are supported). If its due to an add-on disabling it would probably not restore the contents of any of your old mail, it would just prevent the problem from occurring again.
cladder

Post by cladder »

Its pop just looked on web mail and its the same there on older emails. it usually takes a few days or weeks for the content to be corrupted
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If you have the same problem with the original message still saved in webmail than its not Thunderbird that is causing this. Are you using any other email client with that account, perhaps one on a smartphone?

If your email provider is your ISP and Thunderbrid is your only email client I suggest you complain to your ISP since there is no mechanism in the POP3 protocol to manipulate the contents of the original message that is still stored on the POP server.

Have you thought about switching to a Gmail account, and using the Gmail webmail settings to tell Gmail to automatically/periodically fetch mail from your old email provider, and merge it into the Gmail inbox? A Gmail Thunderbird account would see that mail, you would not have to use webmail to get it to fetch/merge it. You could create a multiple identity for the Gmail account in Thunderbird to add support for also using your old email address when sending/replying, move your downloaded mail to the Gmail account, and once things seem to be working okay delete the old account.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Multiple_iden ... il_account
cladder

Post by cladder »

well i switched off add ons and i went back back on provider and its only the e bay emails which are currupted thunderbird seems alright so far i give it a few more days to see if anymore are corrupted